Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Do Everything.............

Recently I've been hearing a new song on the radio by Steven Curtis Chapman. I absolutely love this song. The first time I heard it I was on the way to work and things had been really hectic in my life and I was running late (as always) and stressed out. When I heard the beginning lyrics I thought, "Wow. He is describing my life." In case you haven't heard the song here are the words:

You’re picking up toys on the living room floor
for the 15th time today
Matching up socks and sweeping up lost
Cheerios that got away
You put a baby on your hip and color on your lips
and head out the door
And while I may not know you I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all
Well let me remind you it all matters just as long as you

Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace
With every move that you make
And every little thing you do

OOoh ooooh oooooh

Maybe you’re that guy with the suit and tie
Maybe your shirt says your name
You may be hooking up mergers, cooking up burgers
But at the end of the day

Little stuff big stuff in between stuff
God sees it all the same
And while I may not know you I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all
Well let me remind you it all matters just as long as you do

Everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you
To do every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace with every move that you make
And every little thing that you do

Well maybe you’re sitting in math class
Maybe on a mission in the Congo
Maybe you’re working at the office
Singing along with the radio
Maybe you’re dining at a five star
Or feeding orphans in Myanmar
Anywhere and everywhere you are
Whatever you do it all matters
So do what you do and don’t ever forget
to do

Everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace as you do
Everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace with every move that you make
And every little thing that you do

Ooh oooooh
Every little thing you do

It's quite a catchy little song, but the words are so powerful. It's puts a whole new perspective on everyday tasks that sometimes seems so mundane or insignificant or repetitive or that just plain wear on you. I can't tell you how many times a day I pick up socks or underwear or Legos out of the middle of the floor. (Underwear [my children's-- not mine] ends up in the strangest places around our house. Am I the only mom who feels that way?)

However these words are a simple reminder that whether you are THAT mom nagging your kids about putting their dirty clothes where they belong and picking up Legos that you've stumped your toe on five times in 2 hours, or whether you're a high-powered executive in a fancy office making decisions and running a multi-million dollar company, at the end of the day the only thing that matters is how we've used our day for God's glory.

Our office relocated the week of July 4th holiday. The weeks leading up to the move and the week of the move were very hectic. Once we got moved in, our first week in the office went smoother than expected, but it was still very busy. I had been working more than usual and had only been getting 10 minute lunches and wasn't leaving the office until well after my normal quitting time. At one point I started feeling sorry for myself. After all, I am pregnant. What other excuse do I need to want to go home and kick my feet up? At the end of the first week, my boss, who is a devout Catholic, had a priest come in and bless the office. I really admire the reverence that Catholics take to so many things. As the priest was saying his blessings and reading out of the new testament, it was very humbling. It was perfect ending to a crazy week. He referred to being the hands and feet of Christ and prayed that we would use our gifts to reach out to others so that we could show the love of Christ. Now, I am simple minded, and I already know that I have been equipped with certain gifts by God and I am to use them to the fullness of my ability. But when I am tired and grumpy and people are wearing on my nerves, I tend to push that in the back of my mind and think about ME.

And honestly, I work for a man who is a perfect example of showing the love of Christ to others. Sometimes I get frustrated when he wants to do a root canal at 11:45 (fifteen minutes before lunch) --and not that it happens often, but it does happen occasionally---but I realize he's there to get these people out of pain and show mercy and compassion to those who come to him for help in their times of need (dental needs). I have really come to admire him in the years I've worked for him and the more I see him reach out to others, the more it makes me WANT to have a better attitude about what I do and how I go about doing it.

This weekend the city held a dental mission called "Missions of Mercy". It was a 2 day event and over 80 dentists and 100 dental volunteers came and volunteered their time to provide free dental care to those who may have been in need. I was not able to go Friday, but saw it on the news. Since my friends are gearing up and getting excited about going to Nicaragua, I have been really missing out on that this year. After I saw the news, I felt that God would not leave me alone about offering my time on Saturday here in town. So, I talked to my boss on Friday who seemed very grateful to have his own personal assistant come on Saturday and help him out. It turned out to be a very big blessing for me. When I arrived at 5:45 a.m., the line was already wrapped around the building. Unlike Nicaragua, we did a lot of restorations instead of strictly extractions. All but one of the patients we saw were very grateful and we even received a blessing from one. The one person we saw who had a bad attitude really but a bad taste in our mouths. But, it was that one seed of doubt that Satan will sometimes use to try and get the best of your day. I'm pretty sure that most of us could think of other things we could be getting done on a weekend instead of standing on concrete floors in the bare essentials of dentistry and making do with the supplies and resources we had. I really wanted to tell this lady what I was TRULY thinking the moment she started complaining, but it was the wrong attitude to have. We were all there for a reason and that reason was to reach out to those in need and to give God the glory for blessing us enough to provide help to others who were not as fortunate financially. It was an exhausting day, but at the end of the day it counted for something because I did what God commanded me to do, and I, as well as about 200 others, were the hands and feet of Christ. (Of course, it also reminded me that even if I were given a green light to go to Nicaragua, I would not be able to physically handle the heat and the exhaustion-- that was God's way of continuing to lighten my disappointment of missing out on my beloved mission trip this summer.)

So moral of the story: It doesn't matter if you work at McDonald's, at home, at a big company, at a little company, or if you volunteer your time--- Your attitude should be a reflection of Christ and it really does matter to the most important One what you do and how you do it. He's equipped you with exactly what you need to bring glory and honor to His name and His name alone.


Philippians 2:14

14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing,


1 Corinthians 10:31

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

And a little disclaimer on my part: I still have to have about 30 minutes alone when I get home from work so I can unwind and not bite everyone's head off who tries to converse with me. And it's not always from a hectic day of work, but driving down Highway 49 S during rush hour. I wish I had a tank to get me to and from work.

No comments: