Friday, February 10, 2012

A letter to my children......

Dear Children:

In a world that seems to have morals, values, and God backwards, I feel it is best for all of us if I can better explain my stance as a mother and why your dad and I take a stand on the things that we do. Just turning on the television these days is enough to make anyone question our society and exactly where God fits into all of it. Well, here I go:

First and foremost, regardless of anything this world says it has to offer you, let me assure you that Christ is the center of our home. Therefore, when you go out into this world, you will be able to take that foundation with you and stand firm on the things you have been taught and shown. Realize that as you grow, we don't expect you to be perfect. I understand that we all make mistakes. Sometimes it's necessary to make mistakes so that you can suffer the repercussions and experience the pain that comes along with making those mistakes. And hopefully, the consequences will be severe enough that you will learn a lesson and make better choices in the future. Sound harsh? Some may think so. But I've had my share of painful mistakes. And there are some days that I still feel the sting of the consequences I chose from making wrong choices. Let painful lessons be just that. And look for God's glory in the end and move on.

Since Christ is the center of this house, that means God comes first in our lives. God is first in your Dad's life, and He is first in my life. As in, God actually comes before YOU. Yes, before you. Then after God comes your Dad. As well as the fact that I come after God in your father's life. So what am I saying? That your are not first in our lives? Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. So, that is something else that probably sounds harsh. But that is not to be taken the wrong way. I would breathe my last breath for you and I would walk barefooted to the ends of the earth for you. But if my priorities as a parent are not in order, then I am not doing what God has instructed me to do. I am being disobedient towards Him. And disobedience is something that God hates. Just as I teach you to obey God and us, God expects the same from those of us who are called to be parents to the children He created.

This world will teach you that certain things are okay. The more sex you have, the prettier/manlier you will be. The only person of opposite sex that will EVER instill in you how TRULY beautiful you are inside and out is your mother and father. This world will also tell you that romantic relationships with the SAME sex are okay. Let me assure you, that it is NOT okay. God created man and woman for a reason. And marriage is something that God created for man and woman to enjoy together. Just as the church was Christ's bride, you should have that same respect for the institution of marriage for a man and woman. It is not for a woman and another woman. Nor is it for a man and another man. Nor is marriage between man and woman to be for convenience or because you THINK you want to be married. It is til death do you part. And yes, God expects you to put Him first for your entire "til death do you part". If you put God first in your marriage, then each passing year just gets easier. Trust me on this one.

The hardest thing for me to do as a parent is to pray for you. Why you ask? Because I pray every single day for your life to be used for God's glory and honor. Which can open up a door to so many scary things. Scary for me as a parent, anyway. It could mean illness, pain, and even moving across the world one day to spread the love of Christ. To be gut-honest, it could even mean death, which chills me to my depths. The fear of the unknown in how God can use you is definitely scary. But, I am only your earthly parent. God has entrusted you in our care for a short time. And we are to use that time wisely by showing you and teaching you the ways that will honor God. And it also includes time spent with our knees bent praying for you. I certainly pray for God's hand of protection to go before you as I pray for Him to use you for his Glory.

When we tell you "no", or eat your vegetables, or clean your room over and over and over, it's not to hear ourselves talk or for just plain meanness. I have been to countries where children have no shoes on their feet. Because they don't own any. Because their parents have no money. I have seen the joy on children's faces when they receive something as simple as a sticker, or cheap, plastic beads to wear around their necks. I have seen children begging for food off of our plates because they have only had one meal of rice and beans every day for as long as they can remember. I have seen children in dirty, filthy clothes because it's the only clothing they own. And they don't have the means to wash them after they've worn them for a day or two. I have seen some children in nothing but filthy diapers or underwear. I have seen children stand in line for hours and hours at a time just to receive medicine and lice shampoo. So all of our "no's" and "eat your vegetables" and "clean your room" is not for MY sake. It's for your sake. To appreciate the things you do have and to take care of the things God has chosen to bless you with. God has given us certain things to enjoy, but He also expects us to bless others with our resources, and to take good care of what we have. Sometimes that means taking a leap of faith in finances too. Your Dad and I put God first with everything we receive monetarily, and in return, we have never had an unpaid bill or gone to bed hungry. He has blessed us enough so that we can in return share the things we have with others. Again, that is one of God's expectations.

Being a parent, as long as we are trying to do it right, and under the commandments of our Maker, is the hardest, most exhausting and sometimes frustrating "job" out there. This world is a scary place to raise children. If I could keep you under my protective wings at home for the rest of my life, then I would. But that is not what God expects. You are to leave our nest and share the things that you've been taught by parents who have been seeking all that they know from our Heavenly Father above. You are to BE the example. To live righteously, seeking God's heart in all that you do. You were created for a purpose in His likeness. You are not here by chance or mistake. Of the billions of people in this big, scary world, you are called to be the light. To be salt of the earth. To be set apart for Him and only Him.

As I stated above, even though you come third in our lives, you are still the reason I get out of bed in the mornings. And I love you completely, wholly, and deeply. You are the center of my daily life and you make up most of the love that is in my heart. I cannot imagine life without you, and I cannot bear the thought of you not being on this planet.

This is why my expectations may seem a little high at times. God expects great things from us to honor Him. I expect nothing less from you. Remember through life, if you obey God first and foremost, then everything else will fall into place.

And remember, the greener the vegetable the better it is for you.

I love you deeply,

Your Mom

2 comments:

4 J's said...

Well said, Mandy. AMEN to all of it. It was a great reminder of my role as child of God/wife/mother.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Perfectly written. You definitely need to print this and save it for them.