Sunday, November 1, 2009

It's the friggin' flu!

Well, it's official. I was hoping we would be some of the few remaining earthlings to not get caught up in all this media-sensationalized swine flu hype.... but, alas, we've been hit. GRRRRR. (That's about the only thing I can say!)

And of the four of us to get the virus first (and hopefully last), it was Ethan. It came on suddenly. Strangely enough, the swine flu is actually milder than a common cold. Other than Ethan running a high fever and a slightly drippy nose, he had no other symptoms. And we only took him to the doctor for his fever. He was very, very tired yesterday afternoon and wanted to do nothing more than sleep, but he played and laughed instead of napped yesterday, so we thought that was why he was so sleepy. Then during the night he became very feverish. So, Chad took him to the doctor this morning while I took Brennan to church, and they did a flu test and it came back positive.

My main complaint, however, is not the virus. It's the medicine. We always use Kroger to fill our prescriptions, so I went straight from church to Kroger. They were slow and apathetic towards my sick baby, and when it finally was my turn, they said they were out of Tamiflu. Which is what is prescribed for, oh.... I don't know..... EVERY person diagnosed with the flu. After making several phone calls, the pharmacist finally found a drugstore that had the medicine. (Apparently, the manufacturer is having a hard time keeping up the supply because it's in such high demand.) I knew it would be a little pricey. So when he gave me my grand total of $52.73, I didn't flinch too much. That is, not until I got home and pulled out the bottle. Twelve milliliters of liquid - twelve MILLILITERS of liquid cost over $50. Why the heck do we even have health insurance? We can't afford to get sick even with it!!!!!!! GRRRRR! (Again!)

And even with the swine flu being so contagious (and expensive), I still don't think I am going to allow my family to be vaccinated. I just don't trust anything that was made in such a hurry, and no one knows what kind of long term effects the vaccination could have. I'm a big believer in vaccinations, but not this one!

No comments: