Saturday, July 10, 2010

"The Shack"

So I recently bought "The Shack" yesterday. It was one of those books, that to be honest with you, I was almost afraid to buy. Kind of liking watching that movie "The Exorcist" or something. I've never watched it, nor do I intend to. I'm afraid it will put images and thoughts in my heads that have no need of being there. Not that I felt "The Shack" was evil by any means, I just knew it had some "different" views on God and how He can work. So yesterday, I was a little leery, but I picked it up and bought it. I posted it on Facebook for others to share opinions. In all, I got 30 comments. Some I have put here. (Others were just thoughts in general about my kids.) So, if you did not see my status on Facebook, and have read this book, what is your opinion? My favorite comment is at the end, from Blake. He is a very talented, deep-thinking man who has a lot of talent and Christian insight to offer.

Just bought "The Shack" to read. Any comments? Is it good? Also, my kids were acting so bad in the store, while I was checking out the lady pointed to a book and said, "This is on sale for $5 right now, it might do you some good." The name of the book??? "Have a New Kid by Friday" What does that tell you about my heathens?


  • My aunt loved that book. She let me borrow it, so I guess I should read it ;)


  • I've been warned against that book by some people I really respect--Larry McDonald, for one. I have not read it, myself. Be careful what you expose yourself to, sweetheart. When do you leave for Nicaragua? Have been praying for you and your team.

  • I've heard that, too about that book. That is why I am going to be careful while reading it. We leave in 24 days. Sooooo excited.

  • It may leave you not quite knowing what to think about it. Proverbs 4:23 (NIV) Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. (Does this book challenge your theology? Does it seek to change or "add to" your theology? Does it confirm your theology? --- and by all this I mean does it affect what God is telling you about Himself? And is He using this book to tell you something about Himself?)

  • My first reading of "The Shack" left me with mixed feelings, and it eventually landed in my "not-quite-favorable" category. But, it did give me a lot to ponder as to how I see God and His love. I plan to read it again with a different mindset to see whether it can be "upgraded" or firmly placed in my "damaging-to-bad theology" category.

  • Thank you, Dennis. I have an open mind about it but I do not want it making me stray. This could be a good future blog topic. Especially for you since you have not blogged in so long and can offer some insight. :)


  • It sure tells me a lot about that ride ladie's manners! Anyway...my mom read it and loved it.
  • At Lifeway, if you bought the book (at least when it first came out) they were giving you a letter - "Read with Discernment - Book Briefing" - reminding you among other things that this is "Christian fiction" -
  • I started it and did not finish it. I need to make myself finish. I was ambivalent about it. I had heard a lot of good things about it (i.e. how many copies sold, etc.) - but just didn't care for it as I read it. I should at least make myself read it through though.
  • I personally Loved it and is my Favorite book!!! :)
  • my mom read it and said it was awesome. let me know what you think.
  • I talked with several people at church of whose opinions I value greatly. I got different responses, but I finally decided anything with that much controvsary (sp) was not for me. I also made my final decision not to read it by knowing my mother would not have read it. But to each his own!

  • I was so excited to read it a while back. I was disappointed. To me it was nothing more than a story. I want to try and read it again.

  • And Sherry, that's what it more or less is to me. Like a novel I would read.

  • don't get me wrong it was a great story! Just nothing aha or life changing about it for me.
  • I read it. Some really like it, others can't stand it. It is definitely different. Don't consider it to be Biblical/Christian. Whoever reads it needs to be grounded in their faith before reading it.
  • I agree with Rachel. It is different...but I loved it!
  • "The Shack" is one of my favorite books--a strong reminder to me of God's love and of how very close He is to me. Definitely an "a-ha" book for me. It is fiction, not intended to be theologically correct. Jesus Himself was a "storyteller"--maybe He knew how much a story could change a heart? "Have a New Kid by Friday"? If it sounds too good to be true, well....ha! The nerve of that lady!!!

  • It's a GREAT book...there were three guys that collaborated to write it...two of which I spent a few days with recently. They are the most real guys I've EVER met and truly seem to understand walking in freedom with the Father. These guys weren't talking about theory...they truly live it...without the big titles. This book, along with others they ... See Morehave written, opened me to a world of freedom 'outside the four walls', that I never knew before. I think it would be easy to miss the big picture though if you get overly concerned about what's theology and what isn't. After all, our goal isn't 'perfect theology'..it's a relationship with a real Heavenly Father that is 'incredibly fond of us'. The Shack shows this incredibly well. I think the greatest truths from this book can only be understood from the heart...the head just seems to get in the way.

No comments: