Saturday, August 28, 2010

Heaven or Hell?

So I just watched this show on the History Channel (my all time favorite channel, even though I don't get to sit down and watch very much of it.) The show was called "Gates of Hell". WOW. It was a 2 hour show and I wish I would have recorded it for Chad.

It referred to 6 places on earth that are believed to be portals or gateways to hell. I fully and completely believe in a physical hell. I also believe that over a year ago I was headed straight for it. Only by the GRACE of God was I rescued from being eternally doomed.

Two of the six places mentioned was Mt. Masaya in Nicaragua and the infamous volcano in Iceland that erupted a few months ago and caused quite a stir all over the world. I have seen Mt. Masaya from a distance. For centuries it has been believed to be a portal of hell. It is constantly smoking and I even have pictures of the never ending plume of smoke. However, I did not know the full history of it until now. Several centuries back, the natives would actually sacrifice humans. Men, women, AND children were thrown into the seemingly endless pit of fire and smoke to appease the demons that they believed lurked below.

When the volcano erupted in Iceland, some believed it was hell and Satan and the demons in control of hell escaping. I actually do not doubt this. I believe hell exists.

As I was telling Chad about the show, he agreed. In the Bible it states that believers of Christ who have made public confessions of faith, will not be left on the earth after death. However, this earth is full of sin and evil, and it is scientific fact that the core of this earth is a burning fire. Who's to say that hell isn't lurking beneath our very feet?

At one time I wanted to be a follower of Christ just so I could be saved from the fires of hell, just in case there really was a hell. Now I truly believe there is such a place, but I know I can't be a follower of Christ just out of fear. I WANT to be saved because I know I deserve eternal separation from God. I am His creation, yet I am a filthy, sinful human. God loved me so much that He wanted a way for me to spend eternity with Him. Only by His grace and His son, Jesus, was I able to escape the eternal damnation that I deserve. It is not fear of hell that drives me to believe. It is acceptance that I once was lost and now am found. Regardless of what I have done and what thoughts I still struggle with, God loves me. God forgives me. And He is the only strength I have to get PAST my PAST.

No comments: