Friday, September 2, 2011

New and Improved and Easely Amused.....


After SIX. LONG. YEARS., Chad and I finally had the money to get (much needed) new flooring in our house. We got a good deal, found some beautiful wood flooring, and within a week, our house was transformed. Of course, everyone knows how home improvement goes: It is ALWAYS a work in progress. Like laundry-- once you think it's done, you find something else that needs tending to. Putting down new floors meant a new rug, which then meant new throw pillows. I would love to have new furniture, but Chad and I have had the same couch and chair for 6 years and it has held up SO well. I also love my blue. You can literally hose our furniture down with soap and water and clean up spills so easily that it almost seems too good to be true. But with 2 boys and another child on the way, I will gladly stick to our furniture that has been so good to us.
Anyway, the above picture (I am posting with SHAME) is our before. Ridiculous. And ugly. And I didn't realize how ugly until we made our improvements. I have more before, but I'm too embarrassed to post them.
This is after. Love, love, love my new wool rug. Purchased from Overstock.com for a shamelessly ridiculous low price.
Up close-- the blue in the rug isn't as bold as I thought it would be, but it still matches really well.
Oh, and let's not forget our new wood flooring.


Our dining room. That is our dining room table folded down. It seats up to 8 and has 6 chairs that we keep in a closet until we need to use them. It was handed down from Chad's grandparents and he won't let anyone even look at it the wrong way, much less breathe around it. When we have dinner or holidays at our house, you should see the amount of padding we have to put underneath the tablecloth we use. I love the table and am grateful we have something so special, but sometimes I wish we had a simple table from Miskelly's and be done with it.

The above are our new pillows. Just as Chad is picky about his table, I am picky about my pillows. I have lectured my family about these being for DECORATION only. I don't want anyone laying on them or sitting on them. It freaks me out. I know, I need to get over that, but it's always bugged me when people use throw pillows for their butt cushions. Don't do that!!!! Anywhere. Please.
This is why my house has to remain childproof (and dogproof). I have enjoyed being able to fix up my house a little over time and gettting it updated, but too many nice or fragile things only leads to disaster around here.
Last night my friends, Kelly and Kim, and me went to Easely Amused. So much fun. We painted something called "A New Day". My hand cramped up from being so tense, but overall, I was not too ashamed of my painting. I did it in colors to match our living room and actually plan on putting it on an easel next to our fireplace.
Before we got down and dirty.
After. Our finished masterpieces.

No comments: