For all you people, including my husband, who said this pregnancy would be soooo much easier this second time around because my body was in such good shape after training for a marathon and half-marathon I have three words for you: YOU. WERE. WRONG.
I just returned from an unexpected visit to the doctor this afternoon. I went to bed last night with a horrible headache and woke up with what I almost consider a borderline migraine. It took me forever to get ready for work because I felt so bad from my feet to my head. Something close to a hangover. Tylenol didn't touch it. My stomach was cramping and I couldn't stand the thought of eating anything solid for breakfast, so I grabbed an Ensure as I rushed out the door. By the time I got to work I was a wreck. I was nauseated, cramping, and I felt like I hadn't slept in days. I struggled through the morning, and I'm sure my poor boss was struggling, too. I had to keep getting up because a wave of nausea so bad would hit me that I would start sweating and feeling extremely lightheaded. What was bothering me the most, though was this horrible cramping in my stomach. Mainly on the right side. I know that it is normal to have cramping or cramping sensations when pregnant, and I have had that a few times, but not to this extent. I was hurting so bad I wanted to lie down and cry. Finally I called the doctor, which I HATE because I don't want to be a burden on anyone, especially my boss if they were to tell me to come on in. Which they did. So they did all the things they do to make sure that everything is the way it's supposed to be at 21 weeks of pregnancy including ANOTHER ultrasound. This is the fifth ultrasound to date. (Sorry Baby Ethan, but you can't go to college because Mommy and Daddy spent all your college money before you were even BORN!!!) Anyway, everything is fine and everything is like it should be. What I was experiencing was round-ligament and growing pains. I had them when I was pregnant with Brennan, and I recognized them then, but I guess because the baby is in a different spot and it's a totally different pregnancy I didn't recognize what it was AND it hurt a lot worse. To the point I was nauseas and couldn't eat. So the doctor told me to take some more Tylenol, get off my feet and lie down, and call back if it still persists after a couple of days. I like doctors orders of getting off my feet.
So, all that to say that just because you are in great shape and exercise regularly and run a marathon and then get pregnant, does not mean it will be a walk in the park. This second time around has been a real ride.... and I'm only halfway through it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
My kids
(29)
Around the house
(14)
Identity theft
(10)
Books
(9)
Dirty politics
(5)
I love my job
(2)










2 comments:
Sorry you're having a tough time. You are still a marathoner, though!
Did I tell you we are expecting ANOTHER grandchild? My middle daughter, Robin, who lives in Seattle is expecting around Dec. 27! Jana's daughter, Jamie, in Kansas City, is due June 25.
TOO YOUNG to be a grandfather! :-)
Clark
Ouch. I know that pain all too well. Follow doctor's orders. ;)
Post a Comment