Sunday, June 8, 2008

What a night!

There's nothing like waking up at 1:00 a.m. to a screaming child. Not that I was sleeping soundly anyway. That's something my body has forgotten how to do. But, from the way my child was screaming, I jumped up like the house was on fire and as I rounded the corner to his room, the smell almost knocked me down. The joys of being a parent... he had gotten sick in his bed. A lot. He had been to play at his cousin's house yesterday afternoon while Chad and I went to Burlington to look at baby furniture. They played on one of those jumbo water slides that she had gotten a couple of years ago for her birthday. I had slathered him with sunscreen and took all the necessary precautions, but apparently, it wasn't enough. He got a little burned. Not bad. Just a little. As a matter of fact, it is almost completely gone this morning. But, that didn't help with his sickness. We had to bathe him when he woke up and every time the water hit his skin he screamed bloody murder. It almost made ME cry. But, I guess the sickness came from playing too hard in the sun and probably inhaling too much water.

So, we stripped everything and threw it in the washing machine. Including his favorite blankies that he can't sleep without, and then we had to hunt down a clean paci. (Hey, I know he's four, but don't knock it until you've been there, done that.) So as his blankies were washing and drying we all camped out in the living room and put in his one of his favorite movies, "Lady and the Tramp". By the time that was over he had his clean, fresh blankies and came to bed with me. Chad got kicked to the couch because he was afraid with all three of us in the bed Brennan would kick my stomach in his sleep. So, as I finally closed my eyes to sleep at about 2:30, the baby decided to start his dancing and kicking routine. The only things he was missing were a disco ball and a drink in his hand. Oh, and the music. I tried to relax as much as possible thinking he would feel my relaxation vibes in there, but that didn't work. The more I relaxed, the harder he punched and kicked. It felt like he was lying sideways in there. I guess it's a possibility. Then, he got still. Finally. But, I soon found out he only got still because he got the hiccups. You ever get one of those seemingly never ending twitches in your eye or leg or somewhere else on your body? Yes, try having one in your stomach.

I think I finally dozed off somewhere around 4 a.m. Only to wake up to my alarm at 7:00. Then I was up for good. But, Brennan is feeling better. Just lazing around the house. Hopefully it was just something he ate, or playing too hard and NOT a virus. He never ran fever. But now he's afraid to go back on his cousin's slide because he thinks that the slide had germs that made him feel bad and get sick. Hopefully he will overcome that. What a great way to start the summer......

No comments: