So today, I saw on Facebook that a friend I first met in Anatomy and Physiology I back in 2009 is now graduating from the nursing program at Hinds. It's hard to believe it's been almost 3 years since we sat in that class on Monday nights nervous about going back to school for the first time in years and later nervous about all the exams we had to take. Of course, I decided not to go back to school after that semester not because my grades were bad or anything like that. But because at the time I was a young mother to two young kids and was living a very busy life. I didn't want school to consume me while my children were growing up. Plus I had (and still have) a job that I love and work for a person I genuinely adore, so I didn't see any reason to quit just to go back to nursing school full time. And I even decided this after I tortured myself by retaking the ACT twice. Do you know how intimidating it is for a mom in her late 20's to sit in a classroom full of high school students for hours at a time?!
And here we are 3 years later. Sherry is now officially a nurse and I am still a mom and part-time dental assistant. Part of me has reservations about why I allowed myself to "give up" after only one semester of prerequisites. But then I still am able to hear a voice telling me that I am exactly where I need to be in my life right now. I work a couple of days a week at a job I love for a boss I love and with coworkers I love. I don't get paid a nurse's salary, but it's certainly not about the money. I am watching my children grow and not having to worry about the stress of studying for stressful exams. But then there's that still nagging doubt. I keep reminding myself that my kids will one day be in school all day and then gone, so I just need to enjoy the BLESSING of being able to be at home with them while I still can. School will still be there, right?! I do feel a passion about becoming a nurse. And each time I've been in the hospital having my babies, I had such a great experience with the nurses that it sort of lit that fire in me about doing exactly what they do.
But for now, I will continue to do what I do, and have few regrets......
And here we are 3 years later. Sherry is now officially a nurse and I am still a mom and part-time dental assistant. Part of me has reservations about why I allowed myself to "give up" after only one semester of prerequisites. But then I still am able to hear a voice telling me that I am exactly where I need to be in my life right now. I work a couple of days a week at a job I love for a boss I love and with coworkers I love. I don't get paid a nurse's salary, but it's certainly not about the money. I am watching my children grow and not having to worry about the stress of studying for stressful exams. But then there's that still nagging doubt. I keep reminding myself that my kids will one day be in school all day and then gone, so I just need to enjoy the BLESSING of being able to be at home with them while I still can. School will still be there, right?! I do feel a passion about becoming a nurse. And each time I've been in the hospital having my babies, I had such a great experience with the nurses that it sort of lit that fire in me about doing exactly what they do.
But for now, I will continue to do what I do, and have few regrets......










No comments:
Post a Comment