When everyone rang in the new year of 2011 with rain, thunder, and tornadoes (oh my!), I knew that it was going to be a warning for things to come. Not that I am superstitious like that. But, I do believe that God shows us His power and gives us hints for things to come if we would just listen up when He tries to communicate with us.
So it was a very stormy spring, which turned into a very dry, HOT summer. My family lost my grandfather on May 25 after we watched his life fade away for 2 very painful weeks. I loved that man so much that words don't even describe. In the couple of years though, I had not been visiting him like I should have been and I do have that regret I live with. He had been so forgiving over and over in a situation that had torn our family apart. And it irritated me to no end. But my grandfather was certainly a man of unbelievable character, loyalty, and integrity. As the saying goes: they just don't make 'em like that anymore. With him, what you saw was exactly what you got. He was very similar to Billy Graham in his mannerisms and preaching style. There was certainly a joyous homecoming when he entered the gates of heaven--- so many in heaven who might not otherwise have been there if it weren't for my grandfather allowing God to use him for 86 years. He was still preaching right up until he took that last fall 2 weeks before his death.
Of course this year has been crazy for many other reasons. We changed locations at my place of employment, which was a great decision, but it was chaotic at times. Of course, my pregnancy caused me a lot of fits, and a lot pain-- physically, and there were some emotional moments, too. But, I won't recap all of that. It's over and I have a very beautiful, healthy baby girl who was born on my grandfather's birthday and named after my grandmother.
There was certainly a lot of tragedy this year. Everywhere. Close at home and all over the world. We had friends who lost parents, friends who lost friends, very sick babies, and then there were the natural disasters that happened everywhere. But instead of continuing to relive the sad things, there are some great things that I learned this year.
I learned that true friendship is priceless. And I have had many friends who were truly there for me, and in turn I have been there for them. I have had a lot of good cries and a lot of good laughs. And my friends MUST be true friends to stick around after all the whining and feeling sorry for myself that I have done this year. My friends took great care of me through my grandfather's illness and death and then again after I had the baby. I didn't have to worry about a meal for a month after Mary Grace was born. (By the way, I am so behind on my thank-you notes....)
I learned that after my 3rd trip to Graceland, that no matter how much I make that trip, I can never get enough of Elvis. The more I go, the more I love.........
I have learned that the transition from 1 to 2 kids was a piece of cake! Two to three kids, WHOA BABY! Sometimes I feel like screaming at the top of my lungs.... Something to the tune of "Stop this ride I want to get off!!!" Even though I wouldn't trade a single thing, I also learned that I don't want anymore kids unless they come potty trained and fully trained with the ability to clean up after themselves.
I have learned as the older my boys get, that God truly has a sense of humor and he's not afraid to use it. Boys are gross, disgusting, and stinky, but underneath all that, they are still tenderhearted, sweet, and can still show so much love. And yes, they drive me BONKERS. I will be the first to admit that. Some days I get tired of hearing my own voice from fussing at them all day, but I wouldn't trade them for a thing.
I have learned that my husband is a sucker. And I mean that in the best way possible. Having a little girl of his own has completely ruined that man! And financially too. Okay not totally ruined him financially, but she's not old enough to boss him around him yet..... Once that starts you may as well stick a fork in him. 'Cause he will be DONE!
I have learned that no matter how many times I say that I am going to get organized, I fail. I hate disorganization and clutter, yet I cannot seem to get my stuff in order. I am the organization queen at work, yet my van, my closet and most hidden parts of my house (i.e., drawer, cabinets, my fridge, and other closets) prove otherwise. Most people who are unorganized are still able to tell you where everything is. That is not true for me. I put things back in a different spot every single time. But again--- at work, I can tell you where every single thing is and it better not get moved from that spot. I wonder if they make medication for that?
I have learned that you can never take too many pictures. Thanks to technology it's so easy to snap pictures from our phones. Kids grow up too fast and people come and go in our lives. And then some leave this earth--sometimes a little too soon. So be sure and take pictures-- document everything. Even those moments that drive you crazy-- like your 7 or 8 month old totally trashing the Tupperware cabinet (not that mine was ever organized.) Or when little brother dives in the tub with big brother totally clothed--- shoes and all. (Ethan did that when he was about a year old because we wouldn't put him in the bath with Brennan.)
I have learned that I truly love mission work. My heart ached when I couldn't go to Nicaragua this year and I had several good cries. I hope that I can come up with the nearly $15oo it costs to go this year. I love everything about that one week trip we make every summer.
And I have learned that I truly love my job. Not the only the one inside my home, but my part-time job. I love dentistry and I love my boss, my coworkers, and my patients. We went through a lot of changes at our office this year, and I truly saw the value of having a great job and working for someone I have nothing but respect for. My boss is a great employer and nothing is different about him outside of the office. It is a real blessing to be able to look forward to going to work. (Although, it could have something to do with feeling like I'm going on vacation when I'm away from the house for a day.......)
So, 2011 has wrapped up for the most part. I make no resolutions because I never keep them. They're a waste of time and energy. Last year I said I wanted to get organized. Yeah, right. Then life happened. And it keeps happening. This entire post has taken me over 3 hours to finish...... Life. Although, I could stand to shed the 20+ pounds I can't shed after the baby..... but my body is just showing the signs of bringing life into this world. Three of them. The damage done to my body is not pretty, but my babies are the most beautiful gift God has given Chad and me.
And I'll leave you with lyrics to a favorite song of mine and Chad's. I think I posted this last year, but this song is so sweet and true! It's on one of our Christmas cd's and we got a lot of listening out of this particular song as we drove around looking at Christmas lights and going to other Christmas activities this year:
If it weren't for kids have you ever thought
There wouldn't be no Santa Clause
But, look what the stork just brought
Thank God for Kids
We'd all live in a quiet house
Without Big Bird or a Mickey Mouse
And Kool-aid on the couch
Thank God for Kids
Thank God for kids there's magic for a while
A special kind of sunshine in a smile
Do you ever stop to think? or wonder why?
The nearest thing to Heaven is a child
Daddy how does this thing fly?
A hundred other where's and why's
You really don't know but we try
Thank God for Kids
When you look down in those trustin' eyes
That look to you, you realize
Its love that you can't buy
Thank God for Kids
Thank God for there's magic for a while
A special kind of sunshine in a smile
Do you ever stop to think? or wonder why?
The nearest thing to Heaven is a child
When you get down on your knees tonight
To thank the Lord for his guiding light
And pray they turn out right
Thank God for Kids
Thank God for Kids
There wouldn't be no Santa Clause
But, look what the stork just brought
Thank God for Kids
We'd all live in a quiet house
Without Big Bird or a Mickey Mouse
And Kool-aid on the couch
Thank God for Kids
Thank God for kids there's magic for a while
A special kind of sunshine in a smile
Do you ever stop to think? or wonder why?
The nearest thing to Heaven is a child
Daddy how does this thing fly?
A hundred other where's and why's
You really don't know but we try
Thank God for Kids
When you look down in those trustin' eyes
That look to you, you realize
Its love that you can't buy
Thank God for Kids
Thank God for there's magic for a while
A special kind of sunshine in a smile
Do you ever stop to think? or wonder why?
The nearest thing to Heaven is a child
When you get down on your knees tonight
To thank the Lord for his guiding light
And pray they turn out right
Thank God for Kids
Thank God for Kids










No comments:
Post a Comment