Saturday, March 23, 2013

Bicycles and chocolate crosses???

I have been SO. HUNGRY. Last night we had supper club, and went to my most favorite locally owned restaurant. Where they serve comfort food, and New Orleans food. Everything (almost) is fried or smothered in gravy. What did I eat? A side salad with one slice of onion, and one cherry tomato. A helping of green beans, steamed broccoli, and a very small amount of grilled new potatoes. Everyone at my table (including my husband) had things like fried shrimp poboys, hamburger steak, and fried oysters. Then everyone ordered dessert. Hot brownie with chocolate sauce and ice cream. The waitress brought me a spoon to tempt me, and it was VERY tempting. But I didn't cave.

Today I went to someone's house for one of those Celebrating Home parties and they made a Mexican dish AND a chocolate cake. With ice cream. And I didn't cave. I came home and ate a rice cake. I have searched high and low and found that there really is no such thing as chocolate that's healthy for you.

I feel like I did at about mile 13 when I ran the Chicago Marathon. I hit what runners call "the wall". I felt ready to throw in the towel and plop myself down on the curb with my head in my hands in defeat. But I pressed on. And in the end, the suffering was worth the price. I've just got to keep on trucking.

I really regret not doing the Color Me Rad 5k today. It looked awesome. I will be signing up next year. Jealous of all the fun that was had without me.

Chad bought himself a bicycle today. I hopped on. First time I've ridden a bike in 20 years. And it's true what they say. You never forget how to ride a bike. And it's great exercise. So much more fun than walking or running. And now I want one for myself.

And on a side note. Does anyone find those chocolate crosses they sell at Easter a little...... Weird? Like, eating a cross. Just seems a little sacrilegious to me. Or just plain awkward. Like "Hey Jesus, thank you for bearing the weight of all mankind on your shoulders and taking your last breath on earth for all mankind. I think I'm going to eat a cross in your honor". Weird. Just weird.

No comments: