Friday, October 24, 2008

A mother's work is never done....

Well, Monday is the big day for me. Not a HUGE day by any means, but a stepping stone in the world of "mommyhood". It is the day I return to work for the first time in 6 weeks. Which, I know isn't really that big of a deal seeing as how I only work 2 days a week. But, considering I haven't left Ethan for more than 3 hours since he's been born, it's still a little sad. I do find much comfort in knowing my mother will be taking care of him and I won't have to take him to a stranger for childcare.

I'm actually looking at Monday as a sort of "vacation" for me. Not that my job is relaxing or easy, but I almost find it more challenging to be a housewife 24 hours a day than I do going to my job for 9 hours a day. Make no mistake, I still idolize June Cleaver, now more than ever, because it's hard to fit that role. I certainly don't wear pearls and heels around the house while doing my daily chores, nor do I stay ridiculously calm at all times. Alas, a mother's work is NEVER done. And there is no rest for me. Ever. I can't seem to get Brennan and Ethan's nap times in sync. (Yes, Brennan still takes a nap because sometimes that's what I need to keep that one last bit of sanity I have left from going AWOL.) There is no sleep at night. I'm beginning to feel like a walking zombie. I even had one person tell me recently just how tired I looked. Really? I thought I looked pretty o.k. considering I'm awake 24 hours a day and I'm a walking "diner" for Ethan. No, really. I thought I looked o.k. But, thanks for clarifying that for me. Maybe Monday I can actually sneak a nap during the few minutes we usually get for lunch. There is a dental chair calling my name.......And obviously some much needed beauty sleep to be had.

1 comment:

Kayra said...

hear, hear. the twins did not sleep through the night until after they turned one! Once you get back to a routine (work/house), things will fall into place more easily. It did for me.