Thursday, October 2, 2008

All in a day.....

Well, I thought today would be a good day. I really did. I stepped outside this morning and was so excited to smell autumn in the air. There's something about this time of the year that I really love. It does something magical to me. I look forward to fall every year. My heart just melts when I see all the pumpkins and mums for sale at all the local stores and the fruit stand on 49. And not to mention that smell that seems to be in the air every fall.

So, when I actually got in my car on this beautiful fall morning, (*gasp* I actually LEFT my house for the first time in a WEEK) I was all smiles. It was cool outside and the sun was shining-- not one cloud in the sky. So, I made it to my first stop-- the dental office where I work. That was fine for the most part, my co-workers got to see (or better yet HEAR) my four-year old and got to see the baby. Of course Brennan was all chit-chatty, not that that's anything new. But, Ethan started to get fussy so we decided to go. On our way out to the car, Brennan decides he wants to save all the leaves out in the parking lot. I don't know if he thought this was part of being "green" and helping the environment or if he thought he was going to take them all home and make a collage out of them. For whatever reason, he wanted every stinkin' leaf he saw. It didn't take long for me to lose my patience. He puts what he's gathered on the floorboard of the car. You know, along with all the other junk down there I mentioned last week. I refused to allow this, so I threw most of his leaves out the door when I was buckling him in. Long story short, we had another meltdown. TOTAL meltdown. He started, and I finished. I think the three of us were trying to decide who could cry the loudest in the car. It was a tie between Brennan and me.

So, we pull up at Chad's grandmother's apartment and I had to finish drying MY tears. If Chad's grandmother had not baked us brownies and wanted me to bring lunch, I would have taken Brennan straight home and put him to bed, but his grandmother loves seeing us and enjoys company. As I go around to the other side of the car to get Ethan out, some rude, disrespectful persoon has "misplaced" their chewing gum. Guess who steps in it? Not a little. A lot. And the more I tried to get out of it, the stickier my predicament seemed to get (no pun intended). All the while Brennan is whining to Memaw about his leaves and how I threw them out the door and he wanted them all back.

Now, I don't want people going and getting the idea that I have a complete brat for a child, because he's not. Not at all. But lately, his "bratty" moments have been happening more oft than not, and I'm sure it has to do with the adjustments around the house. Although he's a good helper and shows no animosity whatsoever TOWARDS his new baby brother. I just think his meltdowns are his way of coping with the changes lately. Hopefully it won't last too much longer.....

Well,when we finally make it inside, I actually got a few minutes of peace. Brennan has calmed down, I have calmed down, we are all eating lunch in peace. Even Ethan. Rest assured, that was short-lived. Memaw wants to hold Ethan and Brennan proceeds to get jealous. He wanted every bit of her attention on him. He's only like that with her for some reason. (Maybe because she spoils him the most?!) So she gives Ethan back to me and not much later he starts getting fussy. And he stayed fussy. Apparently I ate something at some point that didn't agree with him. We finally had to leave because he wouldn't stop screaming this high-pitched scream. He finally falls asleep in the car. Whew. I really believe in that old adage, "God has a sense of humor". Especially when it comes to me. I finally venture out to get out of these walls that are closing in, and try to enjoy a nice, peaceful outing. Obviously, that's not my thing.

I return home, to my humble house. As I pass Ethan's room, I noticed an odd yellow-colored spot in the middle of the white carpet. I go to investigate. Still wet. Obviously the dog had something she needed to dish out with me, so she went tinkle all over the floor. Something she hasn't done in probably over a year. But, hey why not?! It's all in a day, right?

No comments: