Please forgive me for saying what I'm about to say. Because I'm about to sound like an ungrateful person. Which in reality, I'm not. I realize I have an abundance of blessings. In every aspect of my life. I have a beautiful, healthy family, a nice home, a job I love and enjoy, and most importantly, grace and mercy from my beautiful Savior.
Now that we've gotten that out of the way.......
I just want to say: I totally understand why women fought for themselves to have a place in the 9 to 5 workforce and wanted their voices to be heard. I totally understand why women wanted a career, period. Because being a mommy and a wife is a full. Time. Job. (Hallelujah, can I get a witness?!)
Just today for instance:
Alarm.
Snooze.
Alarm.
Snooze.
Alarm.
Get up.
Shake spouse awake.
Make coffee.
Yell at husband to get out of bed.
Sugar and cream my coffee.
Harass husband again.
Wake 8 year old.
Harass husband to get up. Again.
Put breakfast on a plate for 8 year old (premade muffins that I made Sunday night)
Harass husband. Again.
Make lunches.
Put a snack in 8 year old's backpack.
First sip of coffee.
Gather trash for garbage day.
Argue with 8 year old over what shoes he will wear to school.
Say goodbyes to husband and child.
Have a little quiet time. (Miracles still occur).
Pray.
Read some more devotionals.
Call doctor.
Wait for callback.
Take quick shower before one year old wakes up. (Another miracle today).
Other 2 children wake up.
Breakfast.
More coffee.
Start a load of laundry.
Nurse calls back, schedules appointment.
Get out stack of coupons.
Start clipping.
And clipping.
And clipping.
Change poopy diaper.
Throw clothes in drier.
Wash another load of clothes.
Clip some more.
Organize coupons.
Make lunch.
Feed lunch.
Check 8 year old out of school.
Realize his father let him wear the shoes after all. The ones we were arguing about.....
Doctor.
Fill the van up with gas. For $3.06. The last place in town with gas that cheap.
Get home.
Argue with children.
Argue with children.
Argue with children.
(No, my computer is not broken.)
Start supper.
Fold laundry.
Put away laundry.
Get back to supper.
Spill chicken broth. Everywhere. It's the great flood of 2013.
Clean up mess.
Cuss word.
Cuss word.
Cuss word.
Argue with children.
Bathe one year old.
Tackle one year old to get pj's on.
Check on supper.
Argue with children.
Start planning next week's menu and grocery list. And coupon list.
Husband home.
More chaos.
Eat supper.
Argue with children.
Clean up kitchen.
Clean up some more.
Brush children's teeth.
Devotion.
Prayer with children.
Argue with children.
And that is just a taste of today. Without any juicy details. Like when I had a notion to hide in my closet, curl up in the fetal position, suck my thumb, and shoot tequila.
I mean, really. I work outside of the home too. And I bust my hind-end at work. Seeing patients every 15-30 minutes is hard work. Ninety percent of my job is socializing and showing compassion to the patients we treat. And sometimes it wears me slap out. But honestly, my job as a mom, and the other 5 days a week I have the privilege of being at home, it is a never ending job. No sick days. No vacation. No lunch hour. Heck, not even bathroom breaks...... (If you pee, they will find you......)
My hat is off to full time working moms. Truly, you are a WOMAN. And I understand why the women had such a liberation movement in the 60's and 70's. They needed an easier job than being home with a bunch of needy souls.
And a disclaimer: before you make me out to be a bad mother.... I truly am grateful for the opportunity God has given me to be with my children at home. I wouldn't trade it for any job in the world. And I am blessed to have a part time job that I adore, a boss I adore, and a paycheck to boot. I realize how blessed I am. And that I have a mother around to help me with my children while I'm at work.
My point is: being a mom and a wife is the hardest job we as women are called to do. But I'm grateful for the challenge.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
My kids
(29)
Around the house
(14)
Identity theft
(10)
Books
(9)
Dirty politics
(5)
I love my job
(2)










No comments:
Post a Comment