Every Christmas season it seems as though I have to be reminded of how fortunate I really am. Situations that really put things into perspective for me.
In Sunday School on Sunday morning someone announced that there was a family in dire straights at our church. Single mom with no money for rent. They were going to be kicked out of their house if they didn't come up with money for the rent by Wednesday. (Tomorrow.) While I felt very sorry for this family, the selfish part of me thought to myself how financially strapped we are right now. I didn't really think much else about it. Of course, if we had extra I would've gladly given. Well, last night Chad brings it up again. He felt lead to give a little something even if it wasn't much. After all, we were going to have a home to celebrate Christmas in and our kids were going to have something to wake up to on Christmas Day. Again, I scoffed a little at him for saying that. We have bills, we have a tight budget, sometimes we worry about having enough for groceries, etc., etc. Again, very selfish thoughts. Then this morning as soon as I opened my eyes my thoughts immediately went to this family. I knew what God was telling me to do. Besides, it is Tuesday, and they could be homeless by this time tomorrow. I know God tells us to always give with a cheerful heart, but sometimes when you're so clouded in your own pity, it's hard to remember there is always someone worse off than you.
While we may not have the biggest, fanciest house, and we may drive cars rolling close to 200,000 miles, and we may not always get what we want when we want it, it's so important to remember that we have things that God has chosen to bless us with and we are very well provided for. Even the simple things mean the most to me. Like being reminded of the family and friends I have. The fact that everyday that I've gone out to the mailbox since Thanksgiving, we have 2 or 3 Christmas cards from friends and family we've known and have gotten to know over the years. I've even run out of room on my Christmas card holder and am having to find other ways to display them. I love opening the mailbox and receiving such meaningful reminders of the things that really matter.
I complain all the time how we've already outgrown our house, but it's a good problem when you know your kids are so blessed because they have so many things that there isn't enough room for all the stuff that they have. Just a couple of weeks ago I cleaned out Brennan's room getting ready for all the other stuff he'll get for Christmas, and he saw me putting toys in garbage bags to get rid of. He questioned me about this and was very upset about it. Well, our church has adopted an apartment complex in S. Jackson and we did our own version of an angel tree this year. In addition they were taking any donations of toys, clothes, etc., that people could give. So I had to explain to him that he had so much and he was going to get new toys for Christmas and we needed to share with others who don't have the nice things that he has. I think it took awhile to sink in, but he eventually got used to the idea. I have been reminded while we may not have everything, it is so important to teach my children the joy of giving and sharing. Not just at Christmas, but always. Not only does it bring happiness to those who are the recipients, but it makes the giver feel a little bit better about themselves and what they are able to share.
I know that my thoughts were very selfish. After I spoke with someone at the church this morning I was told that there were actually several families in our church who were reaching out for help and who were in need. I never would have thought. After all, we go to a church that's not very big. It's not a small church, but it's not huge like some others around the metro area. You never know the things that people are dealing with in their lives. I only wish now we really did have a little more to give....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
My kids
(29)
Around the house
(14)
Identity theft
(10)
Books
(9)
Dirty politics
(5)
I love my job
(2)










1 comment:
We are all so blessed.
But, I always amazed at how much greater blessings we receive when we reach out and help those in need.
Clark
Post a Comment