Friday, December 19, 2008

The kid who wouldn't sleep....

That's my kid I'm talking about. Ethan is now 14 weeks (I think---I lose track of the weeks) and he has yet to sleep through the night. There has been one night he slept form about 10 until 4 in the morning. I was elated and got my hopes up. Here lately he won't even nap during the day. He is so afraid he is going to miss out on something. Yesterday we went to the mall to have his and Brennan's picture made with Santa (which, by the way, turned out fabulous-- they were both smiling) and he never so much as closed his eyes much less even showed any signs he was thinking about napping. When we got home his eyes were as big as saucers and he was grinning and talking and wide awake. He napped from about 5 until 5:30 and he was wide awake again. I put him in the bath to hopefully calm him down and lull him off to sleep when the doorbell rang. Company. Unannounced company. Good. Even more excitement to add to our day. It was about 10 before he finally went to sleep for good. He was so tired before that he couldn't sleep. He'd sleep for ten minutes and wake up crying. Of course when I say he went to sleep for good I DO mean until about 2:30 when he woke up hungry. Today he still refuses to nap. He just looks at me and grins and coos and kicks his arms and legs. It's as if he's saying "What are we going to do today, Mommy?! Where are we going? Who are we going to see?" I finally just had to stick him in his swing and let him talk himself to sleep. Which he did. (Hallelujah.)

No comments: