Friday, May 27, 2011

God's provision.....

My beloved grandfather, Rev. James Maurice Clayton, passed from this life early Wednesday morning, May 25. These days have been a blur, but it has brought family together and we all have a deep peace in knowing that my grandfather is worshiping at the feet of Jesus for all of eternity. I have been overwhelmed in the past few days at hearing stories and verses that so many held dear to their hearts from many years of my grandfather's teachings of the Word.


Going through my grandfather's boxes of pictures and keepsakes, I found many notebooks among his belongings. He always kept a notebook around to write anything from Bible passages, thoughts, to-do list, telephone numbers, and scheduled appointments. This particular notebook was on the bottom of the first of two boxes I was looking through. It was also the only notebook that was opened. I know you can't see the picture very clearly because of the way it is uploaded onto my computer, but it is opened to a page in my grandfather's handwriting titled Heaven. The word "Heaven" is boldly underlined. He then lists over 20 things that will be no more once we arrive on the other side into the arms of Jesus. I clearly knew this was a small gift from our omnipotent, omnipresent God who saw the provisions Maurice Clayton's family would need some years later on a day of heartbreak and grief. This notebook had been stored away for quite sometime. Since 2005. Leafing back through the pages it became even more evident that it was a true gift. The rest of the pages were filled with the things I mentioned previously: phone numbers, doctor's appointments, to-do lists, bank account transactions. But very few notes on religious matters. And out of the hundreds of pages, this one was opened just for me. I thank God for the things that may seem so small to others, yet are clearly a gift of a great magnitude for a reassurance of peace beyond understanding.

2 comments:

Sharon Dorman said...

What a treasure, Mandy! I found some of my parents' notes and journal postings while going through their personal belongings, and I can't tell you how comforting those scribbled letters on lined paper were and still are to me. It makes me think more seriously about what I'm leaving for my children to read when I'm no longer here. My thoughts and prayers will be with you in the coming days/weeks/months. What a legacy your grandparents have left to those who were influenced by their teaching and life examples!

4 J's said...

I have been praying for you and your family since I heard last Wednesday. Bro. Clayton was such a special man. He baptized me and what a special memory that is for me. What a godly man he was. I am so honored to have known him.