So I did it. Today was the beginning of many small baby steps. I registered for school. Ask me how I feel.... Glad you asked. I. Am. Scared. Totally scared to death. On the way to the campus this morning I was very anxious. I even started to shake a little. I know, it's not like it was my first day of class or anything, but this was the first step in reaching my goal. Small as it may be, it was a little scary.
I've already hit a couple of snags along the way. For starters, I was only intending on taking one class to just get my feet wet and see how I handle school after 8 years of not being in school. BUT, as cheap as Hinds is, (and let me just tell you, it is dirt cheap!) Chad and I don't have the extra $400 to pay for a class right now. My parents don't have the money, so I had to do what I had to do. I signed up for 7 hours so that I could qualify for student loans. I just have to look at the bright side-- the more classes I take per semester the faster I can have my prerequisites done. Which brings me to the next problem.
I was informed that I also had to take Microbiology and Human Growth and Development on top of the three classes I already knew I had to have. So, I need to have 5 classes and my ACT out of the way before I can be accepted into nursing school. I guess two more classes aren't that big of a deal. I just have to accept it and deal with it.
But, I am really scared. For many reasons. Balancing a family, a job, and school will be no dauntless task. I'm taking Anatomy and Physiology I on Monday night. It's from 5:30 until 10:00 which means I will not see my family at all on Mondays since I work every Monday. The next night (Tuesday) I have Sociology, which will be better since I don't generally work on Tuesdays.
I'm also afraid I lack the brains I need to have to get through school. I am so intimidated. Especially when the counselor told me I had to have Micro. Science geek I am NOT. Give me English or History any day. I guess it is better than Organic Chemistry, right?
So, I'm intimidated, nervous, anxious, and scared. I have to look at this in tiny steps, instead of the big picture right now. Otherwise I will get too overwhelmed and I will quit too easily. I ran a marathon last year when something of that magnitude had never even crossed my mind. I did just what I was supposed to do: I took it one step at a time. Little by little. I took small bites of one big elephant and I eventually devoured it. People go back to school all the time with kids, and jobs, and other obligations. I'm young, and if I don't do this now, I never will. It will always be "coulda, woulda, shoulda". I can only do the best I can do and that's it. I can't do anymore than that. I've got a good support system and I have children that depend on me and that will be my number one motivation. Nothing takes away the fear, though.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
My kids
(29)
Around the house
(14)
Identity theft
(10)
Books
(9)
Dirty politics
(5)
I love my job
(2)










1 comment:
Mandy,
All of those are natural anxieties and fears. You are a MARATHONER! and you will do just great.
I have confidence you will make a great nurse, and with Chad's support you will get there in no time flat.
Hang in there. (Call Jana anytime you need a confidence boost, since she has been exactly where you are now / call me if you need some science help).
Clark
Post a Comment