Thursday, November 13, 2008

So, it's official. Earlier this week I sat down with my boss and told him I had plans on returning to school. I was so upset and worried for several days, but I knew I couldn't hide it from him. It had to be done. And although I wasn't quitting my job at that moment, we both knew the time would probably be coming sooner rather than later. I told him all the reasons why I wanted to return to school and that I have really struggled in making this decision. I love my job, I love dentistry, I love my boss, and I love my co-workers, but I really felt strongly about wanting to pursue nursing. He was very supportive, not that I thought he wouldn't be. But, it's hard telling your boss something like that. In other words, I was quitting, but not right at that moment.

Here's the funny thing. I had been in deep prayer over this, and although I felt right about the whole situation I just asked God to smack me in the head with an answer. So twice this week He did just that. Once happened Monday. We had a patient come in who worked for Sta-Home Health Agency. I don't believe she was an RN, but was like a nurse's assistant. (Whatever they are called these days.) I just started making conversation with her while Dr. Harkins was out of the room. She started telling me how much she loved her job and she looked forward to going to work everyday. She rarely ever called in sick and had the most wonderful patients. She also felt very rewarded in her job.She had also been with this agency for about 15 years or so. So, sign #1.

Sign #2 happened yesterday. Dr. Harkins and the patient were talking about a friend they both knew who returned to nursing school later on in her adult life. So Dr. Harkins tells the patient that I had made the decision to pursue nursing. The patient looked at me and told me that I needed to talk to this friend of hers and Dr. Harkins' because she returned to school at 42 years of age and just started her first job as a nurse. Her friend said it was the best job she's ever had and the decision to go back to nursing school was THE BEST DECISION SHE'S EVER MADE! Isn't it weird how sometimes God can smack you with an answer and other times you're wondering what the hold up is up there?!

No comments: