Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Decisions....

Yesterday I received some very pertinent information pertaining to my identity theft case. As of yet, though, we have yet to hear back from the police in California to hear if she's been arrested yet. If she HAS been arrested, now we get to make the decision if we want to go ahead and file a lawsuit against her. According to California law, the crime of identity theft in that state does not carry a stiff penalty. Something like a one year stint in the slammer and a small fine. However, I am hoping that they can charge her with forgery also. The sad thing is, California's penalty is a little stiffer than Mississippi's. Anyway, because there is very little punishment involved with her stealing my identification, Chad and I are contemplating getting a lawyer and filing a suit against her. Obviously, we would not be after monetary gain, because if she's stealing from others she has nothing to take. Plus, I am not a big believer in these lawyers suing for everything under the sun-- take a fall in the store, SUE 'EM-- Choke on a chicken bone in a restaurant, SUE 'EM--In a fender-bender, SUE 'EM.

I am caught in a hard place right now. Would trying to go after my own justice be the right thing to do? I feel like I can forgive her and move on eventually, yet at the same time, every time I see my credit report or get a phone call from a creditor, my blood pressure soars and my anger takes over. I have seen a picture of her and she is grinning from ear to ear and it makes me so mad. Sadly, the fine she would be slapped on the wrist with would probably be equivalent to the money I've shelled out in gasoline, paper products, and postage trying to clear my name. And I'm still wading through everything. My credit is still not good right now. So, that is the latest on my issue of identity theft. I'm just trying to make a major decision that could be a good one or a bad one.

No comments: