Today I went and saw a movie for the first time in MONTHS. My sister-in-law and I decided to go see "My Sister's Keeper". WOW. It is a very powerful movie.
Here is a little background on the movie: It's based on a novel by Jodi Picoult. I read it two summers ago after a friend let me borrow the book. If I recall, I read it in about three days. (Of course, that's when I had ONE child.) But it was THAT GOOD. I couldn't put it down. It was also a very controversial book. A girl is diagnosed with leukemia and her younger sister is "genetically engineered" to be a perfect match for a donor. The youngest sister goes throughout life having surgery after surgery and having all sorts of things done to her so she can save her older sister's life. At age 11 she goes to a lawyer so she can sue her family to the rights to her own body. "Medical Emancipation" is the term used in the book/movie. It takes you through all of that during the course of the movie/book. It was very powerful. Especially if you have children. I actually envisioned, for a moment, what it would be like to have a sick child. Of course, I know that my feelings didn't even scratch the surface of how I would REALLY feel.
Alec Baldwin played the lawyer representing the youngest sister and he did an excellent job. He is such a good actor. Cameron Diaz played the mother. Really good acting throughout the whole movie.
I left out of the theater feeling emotionally drained. And tired. It was such a good movie AND a good book, but I just don't think I could ever watch that movie again........ However, if you're up for a good tear-jerker I highly recommend it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
My kids
(29)
Around the house
(14)
Identity theft
(10)
Books
(9)
Dirty politics
(5)
I love my job
(2)










1 comment:
I am glad you got to see it! Although, I think I am chickening out. I am still afraid that the movie is not going to do the book justice and the whole time I am in the theater I am going to be cursing Hollywood and stress-eating through a giant tub of popcorn! Eeeek!
Post a Comment