Friday, December 3, 2010

Christmas songs....

Once again last night, after the boys went to bed, Chad and I found ourselves sitting in front of the Christmas tree listening to Christmas music. We actually sat there for 2 hours just totally relaxing. I have certain songs, as I'm sure all of us do, that really bring back some memories of childhood and years past. When I asked Chad what certain songs made him think of he couldn't bring up anything specific. He just kept saying "Christmastime". Well, not so much for me... So, here is a list of my favorite Christmas songs, and what they make me think of....

  • "Away in a Manger" Reminds me of being about 5 or 6 years old and singing with our children's choir at our church in our great big beautiful sanctuary.
  • "Frosty the Snowman" makes me think about a time that my grandmother came over to our house when we lived in South Jackson and helped us decorate for Christmas.
  • "Up on the Rooftop" and "O Little Town of Bethlehem" makes me remember the years that we spent Christmas Eve at my grandparent's house in Terry. We always had dinner then we all opened presents. The kids ate the fastest and sat near the tree to see which gifts had their names on them. My grandparents had an old console record player and they would play Christmas records.
  • "Christmas in Dixie" makes me have flashbacks of driving home on Christmas Eve from my grandparents house in Terry to await Santa Claus.
  • "Silent Night" reminds me of Christmas in the house we lived in in South Jackson. It also makes me think of being over at my other grandparent's home in S. Jackson. I used to help my grandmother decorate for Christmas and we'd always bake some goodies and we were like sidekicks with an age span of 50+ years. I wish I would have had the sense to keep some of those decorations. I remember hanging garland across the mantle of their fireplace with multi-colored lights and I remember some cardinal birds she brought out for Christmas. There was also an antique ceramic or porcelain Christmas tree with marbles as the lights. It was beautiful. My uncle has that now. At least I hope he still does.
  • And last but not least, "O Holy Night" is my FAVORITE Christmas song. It just does something inside me and makes me feel warm and fuzzy. My grandmother used to sing that every year and then one of the most wonderful men to ever exist, Mr. Bob Dreding, sang it in church every year. He quit about 3 years ago because he said he was getting too old and it was getting too hard for him to sing it. He has been begged repeatedly from LOTS of folks (including me) to since it just ONCE more. He politely declines. I don't think anyone can sing it like my grandmother, Mary Clayton, or Mr. Bob Dreding.
  • This isn't a Christmas song, but it is on our Kenny Chesney Christmas cd, so I feel I must mention it.... The Oak Ridge boys sang it originally back in the 80's. I love this song and how true it is. I have been listening to it a lot the past few days to remind myself how good I have it. Here are the words:
If it weren't for kids have you ever thought
There wouldn't be no Santa Claus
Look what the stork just brought
Thank God for Kids

We'd all live in a quiet house
Without Big Bird or a Mickey Mouse
And Kool-aid on the couch
Thank God for Kids

Thank God for kids there's magic for a while
A special kind of sunshine in a smile
Do you ever stop to think? or wonder why?
The nearest thing to Heaven is a child

Daddy how does this thing fly?
A hundred other where's and why's
You really don't know but we try
Thank God for Kids

When you look down in those trustin eyes
That look to you, you realize
Its love that you can't buy
Thank God for Kids

Thank God for there's magic for a while
A special kind of sunshine in a smile
Do you ever stop to think? or wonder why?
The nearest thing to Heaven is a child

When you get down on your knees tonight
To thank the Lord for his guiding light
And pray they turn out right
Thank God for Kids

Thank God for Kids

What is your favorite Christmas song? And why? I'd like to know what certain songs make people think of.....

2 comments:

Deltaflute said...

I remember the Up on the Roof Top and O Little Town of Bethlehem but I mostly remember the version that they played of O Christmas Tree. Don't know why. Very rarely do I hear that particular version played over the radio.

I had a record player as a kid. I remember Julie Andrews singing O Come All Ye Faithful and a cheesy version of Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer and another cheesy version of Sleigh Ride. I think I still have the record somewhere. I remember playing the record in the hall way of my house. Also had the Disney version of Scrooge on another record.

Lisbeth said...

My favorite is O Holy Night and I, too, love Mr. Dreading to sing it! I always think of my Grandmother when I hear "Away in a Manger" and "Angels We Have Heard on High". She always used to play the piano and sing those songs and her Christmas song book had a picture of baby Jesus in the manger on the page with Away in a Manger and I used to sit there imagining what it must have been like. I have her Christmas song books, now. I've been playing them a lot this year and thinking of GM.