Well, it seems like just yesterday I was ready to kick 2009 out the door and welcome 2010 in with open arms. Here it is-- the end of another year, and I'm afraid to say I hate to see this one go.
A lot of changes for the good and not-so-good have taken place, but I'll take the good with the bad and continue to wish for the power to stop time in this season of our lives. Brennan started first grade this year and it made me really sad. But, he's adjusted to first grade well and has great teachers and a good class. His reading has really taken off and he loves doing anything with art. Ethan turned 2 in September and he gives a whole new meaning to the term "terrible two's". I swear, he would have been an only child if he had been our firstborn. I love that kid and he's as cute as they come, but he is a holy terror.
Chad started a new job at the beginning of the summer. It was a HUGE step for him. I almost thought he would get cold feet and back out of accepting the job after an entire YEAR of praying over it and being excited about the job prospect. But, after being there since June 2, he loves it and really looks forward to going to work and being around his coworkers. It's A LOT more laid back than working for a C.P.A. firm. And this will be the first time in years that I will not be a tax season "widow". He will actually be HOME on Saturdays from January until April. Hallelujah. But, he does plan on doing some tax returns on the side because he loves doing that sort of thing (after all, he is a certified bean-counter). So if you need help with tax returns, give us a shout. He doesn't plan on charging an arm and a leg like most of the tax service chains. Good friends get good deals.
Brennan was baptized in November. That speaks for itself. He is such a sweet child with a special gift. I hope that God uses him in a strong way as he grows and when he is an adult. I also pray for Ethan because that kid could use A LOT of Jesus.....
I went to Nicaragua for my second year. I am still amazed at the experiences I had, and I can't wait to return. I love every moment I spend there and I love the people that I get to serve. If I'm not pregnant this summer, I plan on returning with a very glad heart.
Which brings me to pregnancy. After consulting with the doctor a few months ago for chronic pain, she recommended getting pregnant and having a hysterectomy after wards. My endometriosis is returning after 4 years post surgery and it's making some days very difficult for me. So, Chad and I have decided to try for our 3rd and see where God will take us in this. My pain comes and goes and some days I want to sit and cry.
As good as this year has been, it's definitely had it's share of heartache. Just like last year, there has been a lot of loss. In February my good friend, Randi, lost her brother, Matthew. Randi was my best friend in high school and her brother was such a sweet, special guy. It's been a long road for her family, and will continue to be, but Randi has really done well considering. I know she finds comfort in the fact that he no longer has to deal with this evil world and he is not suffering any longer. God was ready to bring him home.
This past summer we lost a dear family friend, Mr. Eddie Beck. He had succumbed to the C-word-- cancer. He had been sick for only 9 months. It was hard to watch someone so healthy and full of life to be taken over so quickly by such a terrible disease.
Then just 2 weeks ago (almost 2 weeks ago) I found out that a high school classmate had unexpectedly passed away. He left behind a baby girl. It was one week before Christmas and one week before his 30th birthday. So sad and so heartbreaking. Life is short and we have very little control over a lot of it. And like Matthew, there is comfort in knowing he no longer has to suffer in the turmoil and evil in this world.
God has really opened my eyes this year and has shown me how blessed I really am. This year has been so much fun with my children and I was really sad to see Christmas come and go-- even though I was so EXHAUSTED! Brennan and Ethan are at that perfect age to really enjoy Christmas and I loved seeing their faces on Christmas morning. We put emphasis on Baby Jesus as much, if not more than Santa. The Sunday before last, the children's department at church had a HUGE birthday cake for Jesus and sang "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. So sweet. We also made a birthday cake at home and Brennan said, "Mama, how can Jesus eat any of His birthday cake if He's up in Heaven?" So funny.
Anyway, I don't normally make New Year's Resolutions because, who am I kidding? I have no intentions of ever sticking with them. I don't make them unless I have 100% of my heart into it and I know without a doubt that I will try my darndest to make it happen. So, with that being said, here are my resolutions that I really plan on trying to stick with:
#1. Be organized. Be organized. Be organized. I don't like a messy house, and try to keep my house neat and clean all the time, but I have NO organizational skills whatsoever. You should see my purse, van, and closet. They are each a big, hot mess.
#2. Drink more water. And out of the tap, not the bottle.
#3. Be more laid back about my house. Instead of worrying about what it looks like with kid's toys strewn everywhere and the fact that not everything will always be put back in it's place at all times. I'm really going to try hard with this. This will almost be like taking crack away from a crack addict cold turkey. I may not be organized, but I don't like things being out of their places, or for my living room to look like Toys "R Us exploded. I really am going to try my hardest on this one. This may be the hardest resolution. The words "laid back" do not fit into my vocabulary unless you hear me describing my husband. His is the epitome of laid-back.
#4. Be more conscious about what I eat. Less fried, more baked or grilled. And a lot more salads. And just because I get my kids a cheeseburger from McDonald's does not mean I have to get one too.
And there you have it. Hope everyone has a blessed, prosperous new year. Enjoy the last couple of days of 2010.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
My kids
(29)
Around the house
(14)
Identity theft
(10)
Books
(9)
Dirty politics
(5)
I love my job
(2)










No comments:
Post a Comment