Sunday, December 5, 2010

THIS is what it's all about.....

So, there really are no words to be able to describe what I was able to experience last night.... just an ordinary Saturday night in the rush of the Christmas season.... with some great, loving friends.....

We have been a part of a new Sunday School class that was "birthed" from another young couple's class recently. Our good friends, Adam and Kelly, felt led to head up this class and Adam felt led to teach. As a part of the ministry of this new class, we decided to serve the older member's of our church. Our church does a lot of outreach to the community, to growing families, and to young families, single parents, ect. Sometimes it seems as though our older members, the senior citizens who have been the backbone of the church for decades, get overlooked. Not necessarily on purpose, but it does happen. I feel very strongly about reaching out to our senior citizens, and I am so glad that our class unanimously agreed to be an outreach to our older members.

So last night we went and decorated 2 widower's houses. They both lost their wives in recent years. I keep imagining the loneliness that probably consumes them during this time of the year. Decades from now, it could easily be one of us in their shoes: No children around, a spouse who has gone on before us, and declining health. It's hard to imagine as Chad and I shop for our children in the Christmas rush, and get upset when our toddler breaks an expensive ornament, or when one of the kids plays with the breakable baby Jesus in the expensive nativity scene. Or as we stress about the lights not working right, or the yard decorations blowing over, or worrying about the kids finding Santa's stash. But one day, that could be us.... lonely and sad over Christmases that have come and gone.

As of last night, my Christmas season was made complete. I have no desire for anything materialistic or anything else for myself. Because I allowed God to use me, not only were others blessed, but I myself was blessed beyond anything words could ever describe.

Hope you enjoy the pics. I know many of you know these 2 sweet men. Mr. Williams' wife died about 2 years ago. His health is in pretty fast decline, yet somehow he manages to live alone. We went to his house first. And neither one of these men had any decorations. So, 2 trees were purchased and came with decorations in hand.

Mr. Fields is where we went next. I was the flower girl in his wedding 22 years ago (which, by the way, today would have been their anniversary.) He, too, is in declining health and has Parkinson's that has taken over him almost entirely. But, there is no way to describe this man. He is humble, always thankful, always joyful, and sings and worships his heart out. There are some days I wish I could just sit behind him in church and watch him and be reminded what worship is all about.


Kelly, Jennifer, and me decorating Mr. Williams' tree.


David and Mr. Williams. We brought David along to entertain Mr. Williams.


Kelly doing her thing.


Turned out beautifully if I do say so myself.


Us girls and Mr. Williams.



That is Mr. Williams' neighbor in the green. She checks up on him daily. As we left, Mr. Williams' broke down and WEPT. I am not one moved to tears very easily, but seeing him weep over a small act of kindness melted and broke my heart at the same time.

He said, "You all just don't know what this means to me" as he broke down and cried.


This is at Mr. Fields' house. The kids tagged along for this one because Mr. Fields loves children.


Mr. Fields showing them his Christmas bear.




Adam came bearing FOOD!


Jennifer making Mr. Fields' door look like a present.


Getting ready to eat.


Silly Kelly. It's funny how strangers always ask if we're sisters. We're not related, but I'll claim her.


Reagan (Ronnie and Kim's son) and Sadie (Adam and Kelly's youngest daughter)


Mr. Fields is enjoying that pizza!


Sadie and Mr. Ronnie.


Angela and her daughter, Lexi.


The finished product.


Mr. Fields and Cadence. (Angela's youngest child)


You see who did all the work???? What a rough life.



This is Allie (Kelly and Adam's middle daughter). She had an extremely wiggly front tooth. For lack of better terms, that thing was flappin' in the wind. No one could convince her to go on and pull it out. She finally agreed to go in the bathroom with me and let me pull it. So, in the midst of the chaos of decorating, this dental assistant was put to good use on the weekend.


The one next to it is loose, too. So, she may be singing "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" before the holidays are over.



David, Mr. Fields, Chad, Ronnie, and Adam.


Jennifer, me, Mr. Fields, Kelly, Kim, and Angela in front.


Mr. Fields and the few kids there. Between all of us couples there are several more kids. Mine were not there.


Mr. Fields and Kim


Mr. Fields and Chad and me.


Mr. Fields and Angela.


Mr. Fields and the Peoples.


Allie and Sadie.


Lexi and Cadence.... and Reagan over there on the side.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea!

Angie said...

wow mandy! you should feel so proud! i love rewards like these! GOD is so GOOD!

im on pto with you and recently discovered your blog! mine is arobinsonphotography.blogspot.com