Well, I was overcome with nerves, but I went through with it: I went to my first class in eight years last night. I did fine all day, until about 3:30 when I started realizing it was getting close to time. Anyway, I got to class about 20 minutes early so I wouldn't have to walk into a class full of people. I sat towards the front and I noticed everyone around me already had their A&P books and lab manuals. I started worrying prematurely that I had missed some sort of memo that everyone else had obviously gotten. Well, fortunately I was one of the "smarter" people, because while all these other people had paid close to $200 just for their textbooks, and almost $100 for the lab manuals, our teacher told us about a website we could order from and it would only cost about $30 for a textbook. Boy, was I relieved.
So, as the night went on we had to take turns telling about ourselves (there's a whopping 26 of us) I started to realize I wasn't the only one afraid and intimidated. A lot of these people were close to my age with children and full-time jobs. Some hadn't been to school for a longer amount of time than me. Then there were several girls and a couple of boys fresh out of high school. Some knew what they wanted to do and others were just "playing the field" as one girl put it. It's an intimidating class for someone who hasn't been to school in years. As anyone who has ever had to take A&P before knows, there is a lot of memorization and studying involved. I'm going to do my best and try not to get overwhelmed.
In lab we dissected celery. Yes, celery. It was more of an exercise to test how we knew our planes and sections. Fortunately, dentistry has helped me a little with that. We had to memorize all that way back in dental assisting school, so some of it was starting to come back from the cobwebs of my brain. It was fun. If dissecting celery can be that fun.
We have a great teacher. And she's so cute. She has her hair cut in the same style mine was a few months ago and now I want to get mine cut again instead of growing it back out. She's also as big around as a beanpole. I can tell just from the way she carries herself that she is a runner. She also had on a runner's watch. Maybe she'll inspire me along the way. Who knows? Like I have time in my schedule for anything else.
So tonight I start Sociology. I have to drive all the way to Raymond for that one. I'm not sure I'll be doing that for long. I don't trust either of our cars late at night all the way on the other side of town. It's a long way from Florence. So, I might see about transferring to another class. But, so far so good. I have one night behind me and I'm feeling okay. A little overwhelmed, but okay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
My kids
(29)
Around the house
(14)
Identity theft
(10)
Books
(9)
Dirty politics
(5)
I love my job
(2)










3 comments:
Aw, good! I'm proud of you!
Way to go! First step and you didn't fall - I'm proud of you.
BTW if you need any help with A&P, call me. I might can clean out a few cobwebs myself and be of some help. :-(
Clark
Good for you! You'll be just fine, you can do it.
Post a Comment