Thursday, February 18, 2010

Book review


So, here is yet another book review. I can't quite remember when I bought this book. It's been a minimum of 6 or 7 years ago. I bought it when Waldenbooks was still open at Metro, and it was in one of the bargain bins. I remember nothing about it. Except one little sentence that has stuck with me all these years. I can't even tell you what the story line was about, except it was set somewhere in Mississippi in the 50's and it centered around a teenage girl. Well, for lack of other things to read, I decided to reread it. The first chapter or two were slow-going and I thought I wouldn't be able to finish it. But, once it sank it's teeth in me, I was hooked. It is a very good read.

The language is quite vulgar and offensive a lot of the time, but the story in general is very moving. I'm a little more than halfway through it at this point, so I will share more when I am finished. But, at this point I highly recommend it.

It is set in Petal, Ms in 1956. The main characters are Valuable, a 14 year old troubled girl who's mother is the town "prostitute" (and that's putting it nicely) and Even Grade, a 28 year old black man who was an orphan growing up. They are both trying to find their way in 1956 Mississippi, and it has little to do with the race issues from that time and more to do with them finding a place to belong.

This book was an Oprah book of the month years ago, and I'm not a fan of Oprah at all, but I have read several books that her club has recommended and have not been disappointed. So, again, two thumbs up.

1 comment:

Shannon Dozier said...

We read a lot of the same books! I haven't read this one yet, but it's in my bookshelf waiting for me.
I'm actually reading the Twilight series right now... Cammie got me all 4 books for Christmas and I'm almost done with the 3rd one.
We are gonna have to get together and read some books at the same time so we can have our own "review"... Instead of the Oprah book club, we'll have the M & S Book Club :-)