Monday, February 15, 2010

My Valentine...

So in light of Valentine's Day (even though I'm a day late!) I have the greatest Valentine in the world. And because it's the small things that he does for me. Here are just a few reasons why:

-1. I can count on my hands the number of times I've had to put gas in my car in the last year. He always takes care of it, without being asked. Just this morning I expected to see my gas light come on when I cranked the van, but my needle magically shot to the full gauge.

-2. Following right behind on the subject of cars: I never have to worry about anything when it comes to my car. I've never had to get the oil changed, never had to get my tires rotated, never had to get an inspection sticker, never had to update the tags, never had to update insurance cards, and, well, frankly, I don't even think I've ever even washed our cars.

-3. I have NEVER had to balance our checkbook or pay our bills. (Honestly, I think Chad is AFRAID to let me handle any of our finances....not because I spend too much, but because numbers confuse me.)

-4. I've never had to mow the grass. EVER. And I've never had the desire. (Well, besides this one time, before we had a self-propelled mower and I pooped out in two minutes flat.)

-5. I still get tucked in every night. And I don't have to turn out the lights myself.

-6. I don't have to pick up after my husband. (Okay, well maybe that's stretching it a little.... but as far as dirty underwear on the floor or socks thrown around everywhere, he at least knows where our dirty-clothes hamper is.)

-7. I am not expected to have the house spotless and dinner in the oven every night when Chad gets home from work. It is an unspoken rule that I DO NOT cook on the two days I work. But, even when I've been home all day, there are no expectations as to what he demands to come home to. Besides, it makes it a little more interesting as far as I'm concerned. It's always a surprise..... he never knows what kind of drama or meltdown he might be walking into.

-8. I have help cleaning up after supper and putting the kids to bed. Yes, even when I've been home all day, he still helps me in any way he can. (Of course, he also knows the less stress I have, the less nagging and whining he will have to hear.)

-9. My kids have a real, true, genuine role model to look up to. And that's all there is to that.

-10. Sometimes when I'm in "one of those moods", he lets me yell, and cry, and say things that I shouldn't say, but then he's man enough to LETITGO. (Let it go.)

And I am here to say, Chad and I have not always had a great marriage. We still aren't always perfect, and we've been up a lot of mountains and hills, and down many valleys, (okay, I know that sounds so cliche) but we've always worked it out in the end, and a lot of that has to do with God and our faith intervening. I am so undeserving of the way Chad treats me and the husband he is. There are days when I still don't think I can get it right. But, he is my one and only Valentine, and he is a total blessing to me.

No comments: