Monday, September 27, 2010

Medi-Share

I am so pumped!!! I am dropping my health insurance which is a HUGE joke and a waste of money. I think I would actually feel better if I took $200 and flushed it down the toilet every month. My money that I pay for my premiums each month has done NOTHING for me. I owe ridiculous amounts of money each time I visit the doctor for something other than my annual check-up. (Which fortunately I don't have to visit doctors too often.)

I found out about Medi-Share: a non-profit Christian group that offers "insurance" to those who meet the requirements. What are the requirements? Very little actually. I was amazed. But first, let me tell you about Medi-Share for those who may not know.

Medi-Share is a group of thousands of Christians across the United States who pay a monthly fee. The older you are the more expensive it is, but it is still cheaper than insurance. This monthly fee goes into a checking account set up via a credit union that Medi-Share uses. Every time I pay my monthly fee (which for a generally healthy 29 year old female who is proportioned in weight and height according to the normal standards is $136) it goes into an account that I have set up and I pay other people's medical bills. I see every transaction that is made with MY money. I also see the name of the person who is using my money. My job is to pray for them. It basically comes down to the fact that it is one big prayer chain that helps pay for any medical costs.

When it is my turn to have an ailment or illness and I am hospitalized or have to see the doctor due to illness, I send in my doctor's statements and bills, and I am covered up to 100%. They even pay for C-section births and hospital stays with the exception that I have paid my monthly fees for the entire duration of my pregnancy. And yes, they even cover prescription costs.

Sound too good to be true? I thought so too. And yes, I am new to this, but from the research I have done and the information gathered, it is an incredible way to help others and to offset medical expenses. I even know a couple of people who use this same group.

It is also exempt from the new healthcare bill that was passed.

There are a couple of requirements such as: you have to be an ACTIVE member of a church and you have to have a faith testimony and it has to be signed by a staff member of the church you attend.

And when you apply they do ask for a health history background, and can consider things preexisting. I was sweating bullets when I filled out my form because I have had endometriosis and have had surgery for it about 4 years ago and I am currently on a study drug for G.I. problems. But, by the grace of God they didn't ask any questions nor did they consider either a preexisting condition.

The representative whom I have been talking back and forth with is awesome. We even talk on the phone like we're old friends. It is an all around amazing thing. And the best part is that we are doing just what the Bible instructs us to do. It is purely Biblical.

I know the way I explained it may make no sense, but check it out for yourself: http://mychristiancare.org/medi-share/

And if by some chance, you do decide to apply, let them know that I referred you. It goes towards discounts on my monthly fees. :)

5 comments:

Deltaflute said...

I've heard about them before. It sounds interesting. Problem is that I'm Catholic and a lot of these things basically spell out that they exclude Catholics. Their belief statement says "That alienation can be removed only by accepting through faith alone God's gift of salvation which was made possible by Christ's death." Now I know that that's in line with your beliefs but Catholics believe that salvation through faith without good works is dead. James 2:14-26

So sucks for me. I guess I'll just have to live with Hubby's insurance, which has no drug coverage.

The Miller's Blog said...

Not to start a religious debate, just genuinely curious: Your comment confused me a little. #1. I don't see why a group like Medi-Share would exclude any religion that was based on Biblical guidance and principles. We all have one thing in common as Christians, and that is we accept the gift of salvation from Christ Jesus. #2. We believe faith without action is dead also. If you claim to be a Christian and walk with Jesus and have a personal relationship with Him, then good works should come naturally. You can't have a relationship with Christ and not do good works. That is our calling is to be like Jesus. We just believe that good works ALONE do not get you into Heaven. It seems to me that we all share a common belief. God doesn't categorize us into Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, ect. As long as we accept God's gift on the cross, then the rest should come naturally.

With all that said, it wouldn't hurt to try Medi-Share. It has been a gift from God for me.

Deltaflute said...

All very good questions. Not trying to start a debate either. Just something that I notice a lot of.

1) Catholics do follow Biblical principals, but we are a little different in that we don't follow the Bible to the exclusion of natural law or Tradition. Natural law meaning that it's real obvious that women marry men and not women marry women because that's how our bodies are designed. It's in the Bible too, but it's also how God designed us. We also believe in the authority of the Church and that you can't really have your own interpretation of things. The Bible doesn't specify abortion but it does talk about destroying life. The Church's interpretation is that abortion is evil. Therefore if you are devote Catholic you should know that abortion is evil. But these are things most agree on. It's the nitty gritty stuff that people have trouble with such as the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary. Catholics are taught that Mary was conceived without original sin so that she could be the proper vessel for Christ. It's not stipulated in the Bible but has been handed down to us. I think it confuses people because they think Catholics believe that Mary was sinless. That's not true. We just believe that she was conceived without the stain of sin. But I'm not trying to convince people, just using it as an example.

Deltaflute said...

2) Catholics, unlike a vast majority of Protestants, believe that faith alone does not necessarily guarantee that you will receive salvation. So when I said faith without works is dead, I meant that literally. If one says that one has faith, but then sees a person sitting in a door way and makes no effort to help the person, then does one have real faith? Protestants (from my understanding) believe that as long as one believes then one is saved. It doesn't matter if one ignores the person, but one wouldn't because good works is a fruit of one's faith. Catholics believe good works is a fruit of ones faith, but if you don't have good works does one really have faith? We also believe that if a person has never heard the Gospel yet instinctively follows the Gospel (ie good works) can be saved. God makes that judgment call, not us. Some Protestants (namely Evangelicals) believe that a person cannot be saved if they don't hear the Gospel so they make it their mission to spread God's word to save people. Catholics believe God will take care of us and them so why worry.

But again not trying to debate. My point was that the statement isn't in line with Catholic teaching that faith and works saves you or that it is God who ultimately determines that salvation.

A lot of these Christian groups are really for a specific Christian group. Medi-Shares other statements exclude Jehovah's witnesses, for example, because they don't believe in the Holy Trinity. Yet, Jehovah's witnesses follow the Bible and are classified as Christian. But I understand that most organizations cannot fit to the intricacies and nuances of all Christian denominations. I just wish that instead of offering a statement that they would say they are mainline Protestant or Evangelical so that it's easier for Jehovah's witnesses or Catholics to know that we are excluded because we don't share the same beliefs. Most Catholic run programs say that they are Catholic so that other groups can choose to use them. I know a number of Protestants who send their children to Catholic schools with the understanding that their children has to go to Mass. I suppose that I could use Medi-Share, but as I said, they don't share my beliefs.

Unknown said...

Thanks for following my blog!