Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Supermom.....

So last week while in conversation with a fellow mom, discussing the goings on with our children, and school, and all those other things moms talk about, she was shocked to learn that I work outside of the home. In the midst of our conversation when I told her I was on the way home from work, she called me a "Supermom".

I was very taken aback by something she just casually said. There are so many times I look at other mothers and have slight envy for different reasons. For example: My kids get on my nerves. Especially in public. But, I can look around and see a mother with a well-behaved child and everyone is just calm and collected. I continually stay frazzled and stressed and unorganized. Or another example is seeing a mother with 2 or 3 kids around her and she is dressed to the nines and just looks so put together. I do good if I can get out of the house with a clean t-shirt and jeans on. And let's not even TALK about make-up and hair.

I see other mothers who work outside of the home full-time, but still have dinner on the table, kids bathed and fed, homework done, and laundry caught up all by 9:00 at night. I don't even cook on nights I work, and when I do work I expect Chad to help me with chores that need to be done. I do work 2 days of the workweek. I volunteer at church, I volunteer at my son's school. But, I am NO supermom. My van stays cluttered and dirty. My house is a constant chore. If it weren't for my mom I would stay backed up on laundry. The inside of my walk-in closet is probably a health hazard. Or should I say a safety hazard. There are cobwebs lurking in overlooked places. Sometimes I indulge in afternoon naps while my toddler sleeps. My kids get on my last nerve. Especially in public places. My patience is thin. My hair is graying at a supernatural speed. My clothes are always wrinkled and most of the time my jeans are worn 4 or 5 times before I remember to put them in the dirty clothes hamper. I have chronic pain I try to deal with, but instead my poor husband hears me whine on a daily basis. Okay, well, you get the drift. I am nothing special.

I don't do anything out of the ordinary that any other mom wouldn't do. I sign up for things, I volunteer my time, I coupon and try to save us money... after all we are on a budget....but these are things I don't always want to do. Sometimes us moms are obligated to take care of certain business and roll with the punches. And yes, sometimes I have a bad attitude when I feel overwhelmed. So I guess my point in saying this is I think ALL moms are supermoms. Especially single moms and moms who work outside of the home and still manage their household well. None of us are perfect. Some of have "skeletons in our closet" (or should I say dirty closets). I'm sure our kids would say we yell to much, we can be mean, we give them too many chores, ect., ect., but I know our kids wouldn't trade us for any other imperfect Supermom out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your post! I tell Darren all the time, "I am not a supermom although I try to be!" My way of saying, "HELP ME!!"