Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Chaaaad, happy birthday to you!!!
So after much anticipation, we celebrated Chad's birthday tonight. It was sort of a disappointment, but I have no right to complain. It just didn't go as I had planned. Our plans were to take Chad out for a yummy steak dinner with both of our families and have some cake, and let him open his gifts. Instead we went from steak dinner to pigs-in-a-blanket and opening gifts in our pajamas.
It was a big deal to me because Chad and I haven't been able to afford nice birthday gifts in years---well, let me rephrase that---since we've had children. This year I decided to get him something nice and original (thanks, Mrs. Davis!!!)
Brennan's teacher is a very talented artist. I asked her a month ago to paint some sort of Ole Miss painting with Colonel Reb for Chad's office. She did a beautiful job and I was SO excited about Chad's gift. Which brings me to something else that didn't go as planned....
I had been keeping my big mouth shut for WEEKS! And trust me, it was so hard! I was so excited about Chad's gift-- and he will be gone for his real birthday, so I wanted to celebrate BEFORE he left because I just couldn't hold it in any longer. So, as I was cleaning the kitchen after dinner, Brennan comes running up to Chad and says, "Daddy, when are we going to open presents??? Mrs. Davis painted you a picture, but I can't tell you what it is!!!" As soon as he said that, I looked over at Brennan with a dazed look and BURST into tears! Brennan had no idea what he had done wrong, so then he said, "Daddy, why is Mama crying?! I didn't tell you what your painting was. I just said it was a picture Mrs. Davis had painted."
Then my son could not let it go. Chad kept trying to get him to shush because the more Brennan talked, the more I cried--- and Chad knew how excited I was about his gift.
I knew I couldn't let it ruin Chad's birthday celebration, so I had to take a timeout and call one person I knew would understand: My mama!!!! I cried my eyes out to her, and as always, she calmed me down and I went back in the living room with my family and put on a happy face.
So goes our birthday celebration. Ice and sleet ruined the festivities and my son ruined the surprise. But, we still had a great night and I guess it makes a good story. At least, I hope it does someday........
So after much anticipation, we celebrated Chad's birthday tonight. It was sort of a disappointment, but I have no right to complain. It just didn't go as I had planned. Our plans were to take Chad out for a yummy steak dinner with both of our families and have some cake, and let him open his gifts. Instead we went from steak dinner to pigs-in-a-blanket and opening gifts in our pajamas.
It was a big deal to me because Chad and I haven't been able to afford nice birthday gifts in years---well, let me rephrase that---since we've had children. This year I decided to get him something nice and original (thanks, Mrs. Davis!!!)
Brennan's teacher is a very talented artist. I asked her a month ago to paint some sort of Ole Miss painting with Colonel Reb for Chad's office. She did a beautiful job and I was SO excited about Chad's gift. Which brings me to something else that didn't go as planned....
I had been keeping my big mouth shut for WEEKS! And trust me, it was so hard! I was so excited about Chad's gift-- and he will be gone for his real birthday, so I wanted to celebrate BEFORE he left because I just couldn't hold it in any longer. So, as I was cleaning the kitchen after dinner, Brennan comes running up to Chad and says, "Daddy, when are we going to open presents??? Mrs. Davis painted you a picture, but I can't tell you what it is!!!" As soon as he said that, I looked over at Brennan with a dazed look and BURST into tears! Brennan had no idea what he had done wrong, so then he said, "Daddy, why is Mama crying?! I didn't tell you what your painting was. I just said it was a picture Mrs. Davis had painted."
Then my son could not let it go. Chad kept trying to get him to shush because the more Brennan talked, the more I cried--- and Chad knew how excited I was about his gift.
I knew I couldn't let it ruin Chad's birthday celebration, so I had to take a timeout and call one person I knew would understand: My mama!!!! I cried my eyes out to her, and as always, she calmed me down and I went back in the living room with my family and put on a happy face.
So goes our birthday celebration. Ice and sleet ruined the festivities and my son ruined the surprise. But, we still had a great night and I guess it makes a good story. At least, I hope it does someday........
With his two masterpieces! Thank you, Meade Davis!!!!










2 comments:
awww! This made me so happy! I am thrilled that he liked the gifts. Leave it to sweet little Brennan to ruin the surprise! Poor baby didn't even know what he had done! It will be a funny story next year, when we don't let Brennan in on the gift! LOL! So glad Chad like them! It sounds like y'all had a fun night, even though it didn't go as planned!
Both pictures are great ideas! You did GOOD!
Post a Comment