Monday, May 3, 2010

Book review....

I finally broke down and got a copy of my very own. I had heard from a few readers that this is a very, very good read. I just happened to see this while I was out shopping the other night and grabbed it. I could not put this down!!! I'm not sure if it was the story line that really caught me, or the fact that it was set in Jackson, Ms.

The story is set in the early 1960's and it centers around 3 main characters: Two black female maids, and one white "heiress" of a cotton plantation. Of course it takes place in the midst of the civil rights era and during a time that Medgar Evers was assassinated and the sit in at Woolworth's in Downtown Jackson took place. The story is a fictional plot line, but I can imagine there is a lot of truth behind everything written. From the way the whites treated the black "help", to the tension that surrounded the deep south at the time.

While I am educated on what happened during the civil rights era, to read certain details make me a little sad to say I was born and raised in Mississippi. However, I am actually VERY proud to be from this great state and I certainly think we've come a long way in the past 40 years. I am proud of Mississippi, and just as the author says in her notes at the end of the book: Mississippi is a lot like a relative who drives us crazy. As a native of the state, we are entitled to say all the things we want to about Mississippi, but the minute an outsider says something negative about our state, we immediately come to her defense.

GREAT BOOK!!!!

No comments: