Thursday, May 6, 2010

What does Mother's Day mean for you?

As I am sitting here, updating my latest blog post, I am thinking about Mother's Day and watching my boys play like normal boys play. I am watching them do things like making each other laugh, and watching Ethan crawl across the back of the couch like a sneaky little cat, and watching Brennan see how hard he can make Ethan laugh before he falls off the back of the couch. It's always wild at my house. I sometimes wonder if these walls can uphold the adventures of my sons.

Mother's Day has really become a time of the year that I really enjoy. The month of May is always busy for us. Brennan has a birthday, and our wedding anniversary is the day before that. Graduations and weddings are always in May. And of course, Mother's Day.

My mother has a hard time with Mother's Day. My grandmother died on that special Sunday in 1997. For those of you who knew my Grandmama, you knew just what a special lady she was and how truly fitting that the Lord called her to Heaven on that special day. She was the epitome of what Proverbs describes as the virtuous woman:

Proverbs 31:10-31 (New International Version)

10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.

13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.

14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.

15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.

16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.

19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.

21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.

26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:

29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.



I can imagine that Mother's Day is hard on so many moms, daughters, sisters, fathers, husbands, dads, nephews, nieces and friends. I can also imagine that Mother's Day for some mothers might be even more difficult to celebrate than Christmas or Thanksgiving. I can imagine that there are many mothers who would rather sleep through Sunday in a drug induced coma, than face what Mother's Day means. When my grandmother passed away 13 years ago, Mother's Day was never the same for my grandmother's daughter. My mom would rather the holiday have passed unnoticed.

Yesterday evening, on the way to church, I was really brought down a few notches in my way of thinking. I listen to K-Love which is THE most powerful radio station I've ever had the privilege of listening to. A listener called in and she was in tears. She was calling because of what this coming Sunday was going to hold for her. It was her first Mother's Day without her 21 year old daughter who died on October 31 after battling cancer. This lady was not even remotely feeling sorry for herself. But she wanted others to be aware that many women needed special prayer just to even make it through that day. Then she did something that astounded me: She prayed. She prayed on a nationally broadcast radio station. Thousands upon thousands listening at that moment, and she gathered her strength, her courage, and what was in her heart. She prayed for every mom who would be spending Mother's day without children. And by without children, I mean she prayed for those in her same situation. Mom's who's children had gone to Heaven before them. I don't get moved to tears very often just from listening the radio, but this lady literally moved me to tears.

It definitely tugged at my heartstrings. After she was through praying, I looked in my rearview mirror into the faces of my 2 angels. (And just for the record, I do NOT consider them ANGELS very often.) They may not always be angels, but they are ALWAYS my blessings. The gifts God has entrusted me with. They are my heart. They drive me up the wall, cause me to put myself in "Mommy timeout", they have made me cry, they challenge me, they test my patience, they make me want to scream sometimes, and they do things that disappoint me from time to time. And I know this is how it will be as long as I have children. But, they are my treasures. They are a glimpse of Heaven. They bring joy into my heart-- and through them, God shows me how much I am loved.

I'm not claiming to be a great mother. Ask my mom or my husband and they will tell you that I'm far from perfect. But, I try to be the best mother that God allows me to be. Just tonight I lost my patience over my toddler spitting a mouthful of melted M&M's all over my white, newly cleaned carpet. And then he looked up at me as I was scrubbing the floor with chocolate running down his face and grinned that angelic little grin. I pray every single day for my kids individually. And sometimes I have to realize, as painful as it is to really think about, they are not MINE. They are God's gift to me to have for a brief, fleeting moment, but they are still His. I pray in my prayers that God will use my children for His glory and for His will. I'm not immune to the fact that my babies can be taken from me. It's my greatest fear in life. But, I know that God has a plan and a purpose for me as a mother and for my boys as they grow.

Mother's Day is 3 days away. Stop for a few moments and feel blessed. Even if your mother is no longer here, or even if you have lost a child. Death is defeated. Can you imagine what Mother's Day is like in Heaven? I can't begin to fathom how beautiful a sight it is with all those angels singing.... the angels that were at one time my earthly grandmother, and someone's earthly son, and someone's earthly daughter. Happy Mother's Day to all and may it be a special day for families all around.

2 comments:

Shannon Dozier said...

Thank you for your post. I am so excited to have the honor to celebrate Mother's Day this year. For me, it has been a very hard day to celebrate these past few years. It is a day that is totally spent thinking of Elijah and Luke.
I am glad God shared them with me, even though their time was brief. I wouldn't have it any other way, even though, selfishly, I would rather have them here with me. But, God decided they needed to be in Heaven, and I will trust Him because He knows what is best for them and me. They will never have to go through any pain, hurt, disappointment, or sorrow... ever. And I am happy for them. I am also glad they are together, able to look over their little brother and hopefully keep him safe.
My 3 boys have taught me so much about life... and love. I am completely changed. I feel that being a mother is an awesome, humbling, and monumental responsibility. And I love it!

The Miller's Blog said...

Shannon, that is such a good way to look at your short time with Luke and Elijah. You are SO right. They won't ever have to face our earthly pains. They are angels in Heaven worshiping our beautiful Savior!