Thursday, May 6, 2010

What being a mother means to ME:

#1. My favorite jeans are not only my "going out" jeans, but they are also my "going to Wal-Mart" jeans.

#2. Sitting down in front of the television, all alone, (the rare moments I get alone) and realizing I just watched an entire episode of "Max and Ruby" all by myself, for no reason.

#3. Having a permanent, small shadow following me around rain, sun, snow, or sleet, night or day, inside our outside, in the bathroom or in the backyard for at least the first 5 years after I initially saw the shadow appear.

#4. Really wondering if it would be easier and less painful to survive an appendectomy with a dull butter knife than survive potty training and appropriate public behavior.

#5. Patience is a virtue. It is also a virtue God has not given me.

#6. Never talk about someone's child. Even if you are reading this and have no children, but have plans for children in the future, take note!!!!! Do not EVER talk about that screaming, hollering, whiny, out of control kid who's mom and dad have discipline issues. One day, that WILL BE your child. You talk about them and God remembers. And God also has a sense of humor.

#7. As a mom, it is okay to go to the time-out chair. Sometimes a good cry is the best stress reliever and there is nowhere else better to do it than with my nose stuck in the corner.

#8. Picky eaters are not REALLY picky eaters. They will eat when they are hungry enough. And when they are hungry enough, they will eat what is put in front of them. Even the green stuff. However, I still claim to have a picky eater. Therefore he usually eats what he wants when he wants it. Again, never say never. It will come back to haunt you!!!!

#9. It's normal to find someone's underwear in a random kitchen cabinet or in the garbage can or under the couch.

#10. Even though the older and more "advanced" I become in motherhood, I question my abilities to raise my children everyday. Others are so critical and studies come out all the time about how to raise children in today's society. One thing I have learned, especially with my oldest who is a discipline challenge, is that I have to do what's best for my individual child and his needs. And I don't know where I'd be without my faith, religion, husband and mother!!!!!

1 comment:

The Vaughns said...

Completely agree! As far as #2 on your list--glad I'm not the only one to do that!