Monday, March 29, 2010

Great reads....


"Facing Your Giants" by Max Lucado is one of the best books I have ever read in my entire life. I must be honest here-- I usually have a hard time picking up a Christian-based book and reading it through entirely. There is really no particular reason for that, other than sometimes I feel like I'm being lectured to or sometimes it seems a little over my head. I like books that are easy to read and take me straight to the point.

I first bought this book a little over 2 or so years ago. While I was training for a marathon in 2007, I was solely in training to let go of some "demons" and for mental help. (Yeah, I know. Sounds crazy. Running 26.2 miles for my mentality????? Strange. But very true--and it worked.) But, I was really (and I mean really) struggling with some emotional issues in my life and some bad choices, and someone recommended this book to me. It's the story of David. But, it's not just about David and THE giant. But, about David and ALL of his giants that he faced in life. There is a chapter for everything in this book. From grieving, to addictions, to wronged relationships, to mistakes made in life- whether intentional or unintentional. It's all there. I highly recommend this book.


This is a cheap buy monetarily speaking, but the best $10 you will ever spend on yourself. If you have nothing else to read this week, I really suggest you get your hands on a copy of this. With Easter in a few days it's the perfect book to read. But, it certainly doesn't have to be Easter to read it. Excellent. And gives you some enlightenment on the true sense of forgiveness, grace, and mercy.


So, I just dove into this one (as the boy on the cover suggests.) But, as with all other Max Lucado material, it has me hooked. This is Lucado's newest book and it is nothing but a breath of fresh air in so many ways.

I fear so many things in life that it's almost become a handicap for me. I suffer from anxiety (and any of my family members will gladly agree that I do) and no, I do not take drugs to control my anxiety (yet, because I really probably should.) But I fear everything from having no money in the bank to the fear of death. One dark cloud that always hovers over me is the fear of something happening to one of my children. That scenario has played out one too many times to people I love and care about, and now it has really put a fog over the way I think about my future and my children getting older. I saw this book a few months ago, and finally broke down and got a copy. And YES, there is a chapter in this book for fear of death, and fear of not protecting my kids.

If you have never read ANY Max Lucado book, you are missing out. He's got such a no-nonsense, yet funny point of view on everything. His books don't bore me, and I don't feel like I'm being lectured to. If I were to sit down and write a book, I would write it in the same kind of style he does. He just adds an everyday, comical twist on all of his points. Lucado is the man!

No comments: