Saturday, March 6, 2010

My art lesson......

Bravery is the definition of a wife and mother who has not taken a brush to paper (much less canvas) since elementary school and signing up for a Monet Water Lily art class. Fortunately for me there was only one other student in this particular class. However, she happened to be a very talented senior in high school. The paintings were not supposed to be exact replicas of Monet's original paintings of water lilies, but something we came up with in our heads. Well, this is somewhat what I had in my head. Just keep in mind I have never, ever had art lessons and never, ever painted on canvas. And I should also mention that it was supposed to be abstract like that, or as the art professionals call it: "Impressionism".

But, all that matters is that I had fun and now have an original piece of artwork to hang in a closet somewhere.

P.S. I took this lesson from the same place Brennan takes his art lessons. I have been really impressed with the program and the teacher is very talented and teaches well. If you have children or you yourself are even remotely interested in art, this is the place to go.

3 comments:

Marie Williams said...

I think it looks great! And I love that you picked a long and skinny canvas to paint. I better see it hanging on your wall one day!

The Miller's Blog said...

Thanks, Marie. I think Chad is going to make me hang it somewhere that it can be seen..... He's too nice sometimes. :-)

ArtWorks Studios said...

Hey Mandy

Thanks for posting your painting pic. I think you did an excellent job and I'm proud of you for overcoming your fear of "picking up that paint brush" and diving right in to painting. You really captured the sense of light and shadow hitting the water, I hope you had fun painting at the studio. Be easy on your self criticism and remember that this was your VERY FIRST PAINTING, each time it will get easier and easier. Just enjoy the process of creating and remember that paintings are meant to be viewed from a distance.

Thanks for saying such good things about ArtWorks Studios and me as a teacher. I've enjoyed working with both you and Brennan. See you guys on Wednesday :)

Lori