Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dear Teacher...

Dear Teachers:

You are one of the most underpaid, under-appreciated, and underrated professionals that this country has had the privilege of knowing. I think it's despicable that this country has treated you like they have for so long, and now instead of seeing the light, states like Mississippi, who are broke and have nowhere else to turn to, are now turning to their greatest assets -and instead of holding on tight to what we should be most proud of and what we need most-- we are giving you the pink slip and a handshake as you walk out the door to your next endeavor.


I would think Mississippi, being behind like they are, would want to cling tight to the treasures that our teachers are. Because my country and my state are too busy having to aid welfare recipients and illegal immigrants (I can't get on my political soapbox right now) MY child... MY CHILDREN, will have to pay the price. My child will lack the educational support and role models that they need to thrive in a school system that will end up struggling just like the rest of the state.

I chose Rankin County because it is known for it's strong teaching curriculum and strong teachers. However, the most thriving school district in the greater central Mississippi area was the first to start handing out pink slips. Teachers who are young and educated and fresh out of school and eager to help raise up the future of this state are struggling to find jobs.

Today Hinds County lost one of their treasures of a teacher. A teacher that was a HUGE influence on me in my preteen years... at such a strange time in my life. She encouraged, she loved, and she left a big imprint on me from the 6th grade forward. She encouraged things like journal writing, which made me discover my love for writing. No, I didn't pursue a degree in journalism or English, but I love to write. Her classroom at Byram Middle School in 6th grade is exactly when and where I discovered that.

Teachers, you deserve what any self-respecting lawyer, doctor, or Congressman makes. You make and mold our future. The future of our country and the future of our states depend on you. I am sad to know that you are the first ones our government leaders turn to when there is a financial crisis. I am sad to know that my children will suffer down the road because of this. Heaven knows, my children's teachers will need a raise just from spending 6 hours a day, 5 days a week with them.

Thank you, teachers. Thank you for who you are and what you do and the passion you have to help raise our children. One day I sincerely hope that you get what you deserve. Not a pink slip, and not a check that won't even pay your bills.

Much love,

A -mom -who- doesn't -envy- anything- about- your- job- but- -loves- you- for -what- you- do.

1 comment:

Deltaflute said...

Here Here! Believe it or not, Arizona has the worst school system ever. I thought that it would be better than Mississippi because it is supposed to have more money and everything is so much more expensive. But no it is worse. And they close schools down all the time.

At least in Mississippi a teacher doesn't have to teach two grades at once. That's right. I have a friend that teaches elementary school. He has half his class in the 1st grade and the other half in the 3rd grade. He doesn't get a lunch break. And he has kids who are socially behind to the point that a special teacher is assigned to that one child only. He told me that he had a 1st grader who was wearing a diaper. And he also has a lot of ESL learners (English as a Second Language).

So now I treasure my MS education and I commend all teachers out there even if I am technically an out of work one. (I had a baby so I quit working not because I was fired).